Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shit drive :yesway:

When I built this PC back in February, I had an old 500 GB Maxtor SATA drive sitting around that was about 2-3 years old. I never used it, never even opened it, and figured it'd be great. I've posted a lot about my system crashing and having errors like not being able to install MS office, and I think I figured out why. Apparently the old HD, while not showing any errors in checkdisk, was just not up to modern requirements.

I replaced my old Maxtor with a 500GB Seagate drive today (I don't need 1TB+ yet b/c I have another external 500GB), re-installed windows and it works perfectly.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I replaced my old Maxtor with a 500GB Seagate drive today (I don't need 1TB+ yet b/c I have another external 500GB), re-installed windows and it works perfectly.
This probably has a lot to do with it too. It's Windows. In 3 months, you'll have to do it again. :lol:

/osxfanboy

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Jeff uses 20MB hard cards and MFM drives, so he's probably the right guy to give advice on keeping drives working well past their prime. :lol:

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
I have never heard of maxtor. That can't be good haha.

Seagate is good stuff. I use one that came from a computer manufactured in 2001 as my Ubuntu and redundant backup drive and it still works great.

I put Seagate drives in 3 machines recently and they're all doing great.

Before too much longer solid state drives will be reasonably priced.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
This probably has a lot to do with it too. It's Windows. In 3 months, you'll have to do it again. :lol:

/osxfanboy
win7(and I know you don't like it), has been remarkably stable and I'd still run the rc if I could.
I haven't had a bsod in 2 years, but that is either the result of:
1. win7 actually being a good os
2. I lucked out when I got the components for my computer.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Kim said:

/osxfanboy
win7(and I know you don't like it), has been remarkably stable and I'd still run the rc if I could.
I haven't had a bsod in 2 years, but that is either the result of:
1. win7 actually being a good os
2. I lucked out when I got the components for my computer.
BSOD generally has nothing to do with how good the OS is, and more to do with drivers and/or failing hardware.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only oddity I see with Windows 7 at it's core is it's firewire driver. It's good they include the legacy drivers with Windows 7 because the standard driver doesn't read my MOTU device very well, relegating it to a stereo unit instead of it's full range (8 in, 8 out, MIDI, & SPDIF). The legacy driver works great though.

Also back to drives, I've expected a hard drive to fail about once every three years. Am I wrong in that? I find it odd Jeff you've had a drive work for 9 years, I've never had one last quite so long. Mind you I live in Arizona and every 2-3 months I open my computer out to clean it because dust builds up like crazy here.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Also back to drives, I've expected a hard drive to fail about once every three years. Am I wrong in that? I find it odd Jeff you've had a drive work for 9 years, I've never had one last quite so long. Mind you I live in Arizona and every 2-3 months I open my computer out to clean it because dust builds up like crazy here.
In my experience, yeah. The only time I've ever had drives shit out on me was when they were maxtor drives. The computer I'm using now, I've had for about 3 years, and i pretty much leave it on 24/7. Never and hdd issues. Same with the PC before that i owned. I gave it to the other guitarist in the band i was in, and he still uses it 2 years later, no issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts