Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Getting there man! I echo what the above said, but I know this is more tone than mix.

To me, that's WAY too much gain, but if that's a singletracked tone, kick the high end back and you're on your way.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
When Chris says you have too much gain, well... you know you have too much gain! :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's weird about the gain. There's 4
Tracks total for the guitar and the gains almost off on both of the sims. :eek:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
I think the gain is fine, the treble is too high for sure, and so is the bass. That's farting out really really badly. Good playing tho :yesway:

What is this 'sneap forum DI'ing' you speak of?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not me playing. I'll write an explanation in a few, just gotta do some history homework and finish sending transcripts of my grades.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright so what DI guitars usually is, is the following.

I use a DI box, which basically captures the signal coming out of the guitar. In this case I'm using a Pod XT which I've set to only, "send unprocessed guitar". This means none of its shitty amp sims, cabs (impulses), or effects are being used. If you weren't using a ghetto setup like I am you'd probably own a real DI box.

Then after I capture the signal in Reaper I can apply amp sims and impulses as "effects".

BUT, in this case, someone on the Andy Sneap forum has kindly given the community the DI files for the guitar already. Which means that he played all the guitar parts and left the signal unprocessed for children like myself to play with and learn. Which saves us from having to waste time tracking guitars when all we want to really do is work on our mixing skills.

He also did the bass parts (using Trilian) and the drums. Unfortunately those are both sandwiched into one file so you can't fuck around with the bass and drums. That being said though I'm a total newbie and some guys on the Sneap forums have got some disgustingly sick mixes using those DI's.

I would never record a cover of Killswitch Engage anyways, they fucking suck :fawk:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Isn't that the same as re-amping? I.e. You record the dry guitar tone, no amp, no nothing, and send it back through to different amps?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Yup, but reamping is using real amps.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
MIDRANGE!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts