Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I had happened into the GC close to work, and picked up a used Roland GR-33 (I know, I'm terrible. I've owned two of these now) and saw an Akesson hanging there. This is the guitar I ordered FOREVER ago from my friend's shop, but its yet to come in due to PRS not having them in stock (it has now finally shipped, btw).

So I just now went in to try it. Damn, it fucking rips. Despite it really needing a proper setup, it played really well. I've owned a few SE's before, but this one gelled with me better. The body is noticeably thicker than the Korina SE I had, and the ebony board is killer. The inlays are not the greenish tint you see floating around Internet pics; it looks like the usual MOP bird inlays.

The wrap around adjustable bridge feels awesome under the palm, and tuning is quite stable (once I used my trusty Polytune app to get it there).

It's definitely so far my favorite SE, out of the Korina I owned as well as the Tremonti, SE245, and Orianthi I've played.

Can't wait to finally get it!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wl50mu

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
With PRS written on the headstock, I would have been reeeeally surprised you would not like it. :D

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't you just say you were divesting yourself of that stuff the other day? :lol:
:rofl: yeah. I did sell my GI-20, but I couldn't resist this GR-33. It's mint, and I love the JV sound engine on them. So yeah, I'm keeping the blue Strat with the GK pickup built-in as well. And unfortunately after I started getting rid of stuff, I heard from a Fishman rep stating that the Triple Play has been pushed back from June to "an announcement later this summer specifying a release date later this year". So I really don't want to be without MIDI guitar for that long, however long that ends up being.

With PRS written on the headstock, I would have been reeeeally surprised you would not like it. :D
Yeah, I tend to like most stuff they do. :D

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Oooo nice!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I played it through a Marshall Vintage/Modern as well, and it sounded.....awesome! I love that amp. Shitty clean tone, but the mid and higher gain stuff is great.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is the neck? I saw it described as "wide fat" in the description from PRS. What does that mean?
Don't punch me, but I'd describe it as wide.....and fat. :lol:

Seriously, it's an apt description IMO. Definitely has more girth than any of my Ibanez, Carvin, or other PRS SE's.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Don't punch me, but I'd describe it as wide.....and fat. :lol:

Seriously, it's an apt description IMO. Definitely has more girth than any of my Ibanez, Carvin, or other PRS SE's.
If it's anything like my 245's neck, it's huge. Comfy, but huge.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I would of bought the one GC just in case the one you get from your friend's shop is a dud. Glad you got to play it though, is nice to finally hear some input on that model.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would of bought the one GC just in case the one you get from your friend's shop is a dud. Glad you got to play it though, is nice to finally hear some input on that model.
Even if it were, he'd take care of me on getting a new one. And he ordered a couple for the store anyway.

I don't think I could ever buy a guitar GC. They have an in-house tech, yet this guitar was not intonated properly, wasn't remotely in tune, and needed the action lowered.

It just rubs me the wrong way that they can't take a few minutes and get shit ironed out a bit.

They're good for used deals here and there (though I've had issue with them in that regard too), but that's about it.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I just put a used SE245 on layaway at GC. To my surprise, it was in good shape both cosmetically and setup wise. Which means...the dude who owned it wasn't an idiot. I know GC didn't do that :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there was one of these on Craigslist for about 400 bucks a few days ago.
An Akesson? That's unusual, since they haven't been available that long.

I just put a used SE245 on layaway at GC. To my surprise, it was in good shape both cosmetically and setup wise. Which means...the dude who owned it wasn't an idiot. I know GC didn't do that :lol:
I think you'll really like it.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
An Akesson? That's unusual, since they haven't been available that long.

I think you'll really like it.
It will be my first PRS. I liked it in the store, so once I get it set up how I like and run it through my amps I think I'll like it a lot.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Yeah the "O" is a bit of a buzz kill. but if I was ever able to play one and liked it I'd buy it for sure. Might try for it one day anyways. Kind of like the Trem on a singlecut :lol: Or might go for the Mushok sig. Damn this thread and PRS GAS inducing powers....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts