Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In retrospect, the Bloody Murder-inspired searing blue LED makes some of the settings tough to see, but I finally got around to shooting a video with this.

Video aside, Dana fuckin' KILLED it on the enclosure here - such an awesome looking OD. :metal:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol: It was a bottle of Macallan 12 - a buddy of mine from grade school got married last weekend, he asked me to give a toast before their first dance, and he sent me a bottle on Friday via Drizly as a thank you. I'd had a couple beers beforehand too, at a work Thanksgiving party, so I'd characterize my level of sober for this as only "moderate." :lol:

Ben - normally I actually like the intensit, and I chose this particular color partly because of the TS mod LordovChaos used to do. IT's just when it's shining RIGHT AT THE CAMERA it makes it a little tough to read the knob settings. :lol:

Here's the kit I built, btw - it's really pretty doable.

https://buildyourownclone.com/products/classic-overdrive

I may be a little biased, but I think my video demo is better than the one on their site. :lol:

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
:lol: It was a bottle of Macallan 12 - a buddy of mine from grade school got married last weekend, he asked me to give a toast before their first dance, and he sent me a bottle on Friday via Drizly as a thank you. I'd had a couple beers beforehand too, at a work Thanksgiving party, so I'd characterize my level of sober for this as only "moderate." :lol:

Ben - normally I actually like the intensit, and I chose this particular color partly because of the TS mod LordovChaos used to do. IT's just when it's shining RIGHT AT THE CAMERA it makes it a little tough to read the knob settings. :lol:

Here's the kit I built, btw - it's really pretty doable.

https://buildyourownclone.com/products/classic-overdrive

I may be a little biased, but I think my video demo is better than the one on their site. :lol:
These sorts of kits are totally doable. When I started building pedals I thought something was wrong, I shouldn't be able to build this :lol:

The video is much better. Which pickups are in that?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These sorts of kits are totally doable. When I started building pedals I thought something was wrong, I shouldn't be able to build this :lol:

The video is much better. Which pickups are in that?
Yeah, it's got me a little curious to build another kit. :lol: I think the real challenge is in DESIGNING pedals, I suspect, though...

I've got the Fender Eric Johnson pickup set in this guitar. I think they sound awesome. :)

·
2,662 Posts
Yeah, it's got me a little curious to build another kit. :lol: I think the real challenge is in DESIGNING pedals, I suspect, though...

I've got the Fender Eric Johnson pickup set in this guitar. I think they sound awesome. :)
Oh trust me, if I can do it, you can do it. I suggest just starting by copying a fuzz face, download eagle, and go to town.

I need to try that set out, it sounds fantastic.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I need to try that set out, it sounds fantastic.
I will do m y part to inspire GAS by posting video after video with this guitar, then. I tried them out of curiosity and because Teddy kept raving about them, fully expecting to swap them out for a set of Texas Specials after a while. When I did, these were back in within 36 hours, because I found I just liked them more, for virtually everything. The neck pickup was a tossup, but there's a depth and smokiness and sponginess that these have that the Texas Specials don't, in favor of an aggressive snap. But, the middle position reminded me a LOT about what I liked about the TS anyway, and the bridge had an awesome searing high end to it that still felt very liquid and forgiving.

·
2,662 Posts
I will do m y part to inspire GAS by posting video after video with this guitar, then. I tried them out of curiosity and because Teddy kept raving about them, fully expecting to swap them out for a set of Texas Specials after a while. When I did, these were back in within 36 hours, because I found I just liked them more, for virtually everything. The neck pickup was a tossup, but there's a depth and smokiness and sponginess that these have that the Texas Specials don't, in favor of an aggressive snap. But, the middle position reminded me a LOT about what I liked about the TS anyway, and the bridge had an awesome searing high end to it that still felt very liquid and forgiving.
I've got 4 guitars that have singles in the neck, and this sounds really good for them. Its hard to beat that single coil snap for leads.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got 4 guitars that have singles in the neck, and this sounds really good for them. Its hard to beat that single coil snap for leads.
Yeah, I really dig this set. I did a shootout with the EJs, the Fat 50s, and Texas Specials in this guitar that if you missed when I posted it maybe 6 months ago, it might be worth checking out. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yeah, I really dig this set. I did a shootout with the EJs, the Fat 50s, and Texas Specials in this guitar that if you missed when I posted it maybe 6 months ago, it might be worth checking out. :yesway:
I'll have to check them out. My go-to singles are still the G&L Legacy pickups, which I have in two different guitars at this point.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll have to check them out. My go-to singles are still the G&L Legacy pickups, which I have in two different guitars at this point.
I mean, we're probably due to sit down and pass guitars around again, huh? :lol:

I feel the same way about the Suhr MLs and fully expected to eventually throw a set in this guitar too... But, well, these rule.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I mean, we're probably due to sit down and pass guitars around again, huh? :lol:

I feel the same way about the Suhr MLs and fully expected to eventually throw a set in this guitar too... But, well, these rule.
Yeah, it's about that time again :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.