Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that I picked up a bad habit lately - or at least, a different habit, and I don't like it. :mad:

Usually, if I'm playing a lead (or anywhere up the neck, really) I try to keep my hand oriented straight across the frets. It makes me play cleaner, and helps me reach more comfortably with my pinkie, like so:

Lately, I've noticed that I started doing this:

Not quite that pronounced, but I'm definitely cocking my wrist/hand back and coming at the frets from a bit of an angle, and it's making me play sloppier.

Something to work on, it would seem.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I try to stay perpendicular to the neck, but sometimes for super wide stretches I take an angle on it so that I can extend my pinky out. I agree with you though. Going perpendicular to the neck makes it easier to get the string on your fingertips, and for me it allows cleaner and faster playing.

Although, I really must confess that I am pretty sloppy. :jj:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Look at where your thumb is. That's part of your problem. I have that same issue.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thumb is there because I'm just taking a picture for an example of where my fingers are. :lol:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I play like that all the time but I play blues so it doesnt matter as much for me :lol: Plus thumb over is a cool way to comp along as I play leads :yesway:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I do the same thing, but A.it doesnt effect my playing because thats how i learned and B. I'v had wrist problems for years, so cocking my wrist back with my thumb on the back of the neck that low causes problems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts