Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've noticed a constant problem with my playing which is that I always end up fretting with the pad of my finger instead of the tip, which is part of what makes my playing sloppy and that really does not help for wanky prog sections. :lol:
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to train yourself to use the fingertip instead? I just keep slipping :ugh:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
There are a bunch of really good videos out there on this. Google "just the tip" and turn safe search off.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Like anything else, I think the best way is just using a metronome, playing slow enough that you can concentrate on playing everything correctly and cleanly (whether it's chords or scales) and building up speed from there.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
If you play the following exercise, where on the neck, latitudinally, is your thumb? Mine sit just below the halfway mark. If there was a skunk strip on the neck, my thumb would be in the lower half of the skunk stripe.

E|--------------------------------------------------------------3--4--5--6--
B|--------------------------------------------------3--4--5--6--------------
G|--------------------------------------3--4--5--6--------------------------
D|--------------------------3--4--5--6--------------------------------------
A|--------------3--4--5--6--------------------------------------------------
E|--3--4--5--6--------------------------------------------------------------

In order for me to play that with the pads of my fingers and not the tips, I have to bring my thumb right up and over the fretboard, like Jimi Hendrix. Or I have to really have my fingers flattened/straightened out on the last joints. Neither is very comfortable.

The last joint of your fingers, is it bent over, making the fingers into a sort of claw, or is it straightened out, putting your fingers into more of a pinching/pointing position?

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Im having the same issue, my teacher is trying to force me to keep all fingers on each fret and then start with the Index on the next higher string but keeping all other fingers on the previous string and only move them one by one...but I cant make it sound because my Pinkie is not Tip touching so im muting the string :(

Its hard and frustrating but ill get it eventually :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts