Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, 15 or more years ago, everyone was rambling about this series TWIN PEAKS, and a few episodes after the start, i joined and also watched - i really enjoyed it, but then every time a new episode would be on TV, i had no time (used to play Handball back then...lol) and then i also didnt care anymore. Long story short - i've just seen half of the first season or something.

Recently, we were recording our new record, at the REDROOM Soundlabs...and when our bass-player asked "how did you come up with the name "redroom"?" - i immediately had to think of Twin Peaks (and also of Shining - "redrum" haha) - right away before he even answered it. In the evening telling my girlfriend about that we were talking about Twin Peaks and stuff, and that i've acutally never finished watching it....my girlfriend came home the next day, having bought the whole series on DVD - and yesterday i started to watch. Goddamn is this awesome, i immedaitely knew again why i enjoyed it so much back then! Forget all the new mystery shit, THIS is the real deal! :D (*)

Also, to me it seems like Lynch back then still used to have something in mind whent hrowing weird random stuff inside instead of beeing random for the sake of beeing random.

:metal:

(*) petereanima actually enjoys a lot of the new mystery shows.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
ULTRA-MEGA-HUGE Lynch fan here. I own everything Lynch, including books (even have the "Angry Dog" app on my Iphone... lol).

I've seen the whole Twin Peaks series 3 times. Make sure you watch the 1-hour pilot first and that you watch the movie last!!!

... And as for Lynch beeing "random weird", well, I'll disagree. It's random only if you try to put some rational logic in it (altough I'll admit that "Inland Empire" is quite hard to watch. But that's his most extreme one).

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, i of course watched the pilot first, and i will also watch the movie at last - luckily all friends told me in advance to do so. :)

... And as for Lynch beeing "random weird", well, I'll disagree. It's random only if you try to put some rational logic in it (altough I'll admit that "Inland Empire" is quite hard to watch. But that's his most extreme one).
Yeah, i was of course referring also to Inland Empire. I've read an interview once with Lynch (i think it was in the small version of the Lost Highway book), where he stated (and please keep in mind i dont know his exact wording anymore - also the interview was already translated into german) that people should stop to think about what (this) and (that) could mean, and just enjoy the movie..the whole interview he came over as "dont ask me about the sense, there is non, i just throw random stuff in there to confuse people". And that kinda killed it for me a bit. I then saw Inland Empire and was like "yeah, you really didnt spend much thoughts on this" -and frankly spoken: neither did i.

Let me explain: I loved - for example - Lost Highway, after seeing it the first time with a few friends we were discussing it the whole night, until 5 a.m., then re-watch it the next evening etc.etc. - knowing now, that there actually is nothing to discuss because according to the mentioned interview, i should just "take it how it is and leave it that way"....i pretty much lost interest in his work, and watched Inland Empire only because my girlfriend wanted to see it. (TBH: i fell asleep while watching it from time to time)

Even if i knew that i will NEVER get to a straight solution about everything happening in that movie, i loved to brainstorm about it. When i know in advance that a big part really does not make any sense, even aacording to the one who wrote it - i'm usually not interested anymore.

But - it may very well be, that Lynch was just really tired of getting asked to "solve" the mystery of one of his movie and gave grumpy answers to this guy. :lol: Because i still understand, or at least i THINK i understand, a big aprt of Lost Highway (to keep that example).. :lol:

Writing all this above makes me realize that i meanwhile dont really give a fuck about the acutal interview anymore, it is more like the prejudice thats stuck in my head from back when i first read that interview...

Anyway, i still love a big part of his work, from Elephantman, Dune, over Wild At Heart, of course Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.

I havent finished Twin Peaks yet, but FINALLY i'mheading towards!

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have loved to conter now with a vid of the badass song "Fire Walk With Me" by Germanys badass DeathNRoll outfit SYSTRAL...but it isnt on the tube. :(

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Yes, i of course watched the pilot first, and i will also watch the movie at last - luckily all friends told me in advance to do so. :)
Excellent. :)

You'll notice along the way that unfortunately, some seasons / episodes are way better than others... The plot get lost at some point... But hang in there. Lynch comes back at the end to direct a few episodes and saves it all... And the film finally give THE answer to it. :D

But - it may very well be, that Lynch was just really tired of getting asked to "solve" the mystery of one of his movie and gave grumpy answers to this guy.
That's really what it is. He always get asked the same goddamn questions about his films over and over again... And got tired of it. I love how "The straight story" is an answer to all of this. The perfect "positive" to the "negative" of "Lost Highway".

Because i still understand, or at least i THINK i understand, a big aprt of Lost Highway (to keep that example).. :lol:
IMHO, "Lost Highway" definitely has some structure to it. That's the key to it (IMHO) : the whole film is a psychosis.

Psychosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People that try to "analyze" his films should refer to dreams structures (wich are generally "form free"). Just like the whole "Mulholland Drive" movie is nothing but a dream.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
Massive Lynch fan, massive Twin Peaks fan. Currently (strangely) rewatching it for like the 5th time. It's the most novel and interesting TV series I think I have ever seen. I think it's better than most TV series that have come before and after it because Lynch and Frost seemed to be allowed to break normal TV show conventions (and even mock them in the regular soap opera that appears on television regularly in the first season).

I still don't get how Lynch was afforded the opportunities he was to have the show on a major network when it was:
1- so weird
2 - so high budget
3 - so comparatively slow compared to series based TV that had appeared before it

It's great storytelling (the first season is brilliant) and even though it went off the rails:
(the whole James story near the end is not very compelling and putting someone in a massive chess piece was a bit pathetic)
it was still moody, sombre and actually quite funny.

The music of Angelo Badalamenti is also massively important to the series as well. I literally can't say enough good things about it. It's epic.

The film closes things off but is a bit meh to be honest. However, I would happily rewatch the show time and again (as I am currently doing now!)

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Twin Peaks is my favorite TV series next to BSG and Arrested Development. Season 2 gets a little silly but, it's a pretty awesome series all the way through. I bought the Gold Box for my girlfriend one year and the Lime Green box for her the next.

I kind of wish Audrey and Coop would have gotten together. I wanted a Sherilyn Fenn nude scene

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I like how Twin Peaks isn't a bunch of entirely random bullshit that Lynch just pulls out of his ass and throws together when he's high on crack cocaine. :)

Yes, I'm looking at you, playstopause. :squint:

[action=Naren]likes a lot of Lynch films, but believes that many of them are just plain nonsensical nonsensey nonsense.[/action]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts