Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Hmm, I think this was posted already, but the New Scientist article really explains what it is all about. I guess my assumptions after reading the BBC article in the other thread were totally wrong.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
There was an article in this in this week's Economist, too.

On one hand, only the DNA was synthetic, and they still had to put it inside a previously-stripped mitochondria shell to get it to "live."

On the other, that's still pretty fucking crazy.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
There was a piece about this on NPR this morning. Essentially, they mapped an entire bacteria's genome, and stored it on disk. Then, using the a computer and four vats (one each for the four chemical components of DNA), they re-created the entire DNA strand from scratch. This is the proof of concept, just scratching the surface of what is possible.

Venter than went on to describe a scenario where they design a algae that eats CO2, and excretes hydrocarbons (fuel). Imagine solving the fuel crisis and global warming at the same time. :eek:

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
There was a piece about this on NPR this morning. Essentially, they mapped an entire bacteria's genome, and stored it on disk. Then, using the a computer and four vats (one each for the four chemical components of DNA), they re-created the entire DNA strand from scratch. This is the proof of concept, just scratching the surface of what is possible.

Venter than went on to describe a scenario where they design a algae that eats CO2, and excretes hydrocarbons (fuel). Imagine solving the fuel crisis and global warming at the same time. :eek:
Now that sounds interesting. That would bring Pontiac back LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts