Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
That solo was totally E.V.H.

This is kind of cool. Wish the vocals were produced better and a more prominent guitar tone.

Otherwise, I dig it. Kind of sounds like the 2nd singer in Lynch Mob.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I wonder how this would sound with either a more retro or more modern guitar tone.

John Campbell on bass?

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I dig it.

Production is lacking a bit, IMO. It's like they got 85% there and either ran out of time/money to finish or decided to keep it purposefully stripped back to a degree. The kicks are sticking out like sore, shitty samples. Actually, it sounds like a real kick, just dialed a live situation rather than a record, in turn, making it sound like a sample. It's like it has nothing to do with the rest of the low end going on. The low end in general leaves a lot to be desired.

Vocalist is good. The parts he does scream, like to modern scream, not the 80's wailing, leaves a bit to be desired but I think it's because they just kept those parts in the same vocal chain/mic. Singer doesn't flow into them smooth enough. He's a great fucking singer, though. There's a total Bruce Dickinson/Geoff Tate sound in some areas. Killer guitar work!

I'll buy this one and would check them out live, for sure.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
I am surprised everyone likes the singer. For me it sounds like he does not know how to sing and is straining his voice. Granted, I do not know shit about singing.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I forgot to share it yesterday, kinda funny that it came out same days as the new LOG Album.
What kind of funny are we talking about here? Like "hah hah" funny?

Or "You think it's coincidental the older brother 'left' LoG and then started a new project called Firstborne (stupid name by the way), and then released an EP on the same day the band that still has the younger brother in it was releasing their shit?" funny?

That's like, the saltiest project name ever. Might as well have gone with, "My shitty younger brother forced me out of this band and I am pissed about it".

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
"Oh yeah, there's no bad blood......my new project is called firstborne by the way, we were originally going to call it something less subtle like, 'my shitty younger brother kicked me out of our band', but that was taken."

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
"Oh yeah, there's no bad blood......my new project is called firstborne by the way, we were originally going to call it something less subtle like, 'my shitty younger brother kicked me out of our band', but that was taken."
Thats pretty damn funny man!

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Not into this at all. It sounds like 4 people thrown into a room and told to make songs or else. Just very little cohesion.

However, it does pretty much demonstrate exactly how much the LoG sound was his drums.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I never even considered the band name being a dis to Willie/LoG, but definitely don't see it outside the realm of possibility.

I am surprised everyone likes the singer. For me it sounds like he does not know how to sing and is straining his voice. Granted, I do not know shit about singing.
As someone who has been singing for close to 20 years, I have to disagree. People often say this about the dude from Avenged Sevenfold as well; that he's straining and doesn't seem to know how to sing. Vocal sounds can lead to that idea, but at the end of the day, it comes back to having the ability to control pitch and form words. There's a lot one can do to alter the sound of their voice, but without pitch and annunciation, it's not going to take you very far. Unless you're singing in a punk band. Hell, Rod Stewart sounds like his voice is going to give out half the time, as if he's smoked every cigarette on the planet.

Not into this at all. It sounds like 4 people thrown into a room and told to make songs or else. Just very little cohesion.

However, it does pretty much demonstrate exactly how much the LoG sound was his drums.
New LoG sounds just like LoG, but the drum sounds are quite different than anything they've had on the past records. Snare isn't pitched all the way up and the kicks take up a lot more space in the bottom end. It's a welcomed change for me.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
As someone who has been singing for close to 20 years, I have to disagree. People often say this about the dude from Avenged Sevenfold as well; that he's straining and doesn't seem to know how to sing. Vocal sounds can lead to that idea, but at the end of the day, it comes back to having the ability to control pitch and form words. There's a lot one can do to alter the sound of their voice, but without pitch and annunciation, it's not going to take you very far. Unless you're singing in a punk band. Hell, Rod Stewart sounds like his voice is going to give out half the time, as if he's smoked every cigarette on the planet.
I do not know anything about singing. From a non singers perspective I felt like he was frying his head voice and there was no chest. I could have those terms completely wrong, as I do not know shit about singing. But his voice to me is very weak sounding and lacks any sort of power. If that is what he is going for and that is the singing style, its just not for me I guess.

·
The Devil's Advocate
238 Posts
I had no idea Chris Adler was out of LoG, that's a shame. I don't feel like the drumming on this new project (from the 2 minutes I listened to) really do him justice. Kinda milquetoast.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts