Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Fisher Price facing criticism for iPad holder equiped baby seat

2K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  79 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Until you have kids, you really shouldn't be so quick to judge.

My son has been using an iPhone or iPad since he was about a year old. Do we leave him alone with it? No. But it has gotten us through some rough dinners, plane trips and long drives.

#9 ·
:lol:

Hey, i'm french canadian, not french from France.

Seriously though, we've been doing great for generations and generations without those freaking things. I think parents give those too easily to kids today. Too fast and easy a solution. Past the Ipod and Ipad, what is going to entertain those kids?

#10 ·
:lol:

Hey, i'm french canadian, not french from France.

Seriously though, we've been doing great for generations and generations without those freaking things. I think parents give those too easily to kids today. Too fast and easy a solution. Past the Ipod and Ipad, what is going to entertain those kids?
They're just the new TV in my opinion. My niece will quite happily run around all day like a fucking lunatic, then eventually crash on the sofa and watch TV. My sister has gotten an iPad recently and she plays with that too. It's not like she relies on it, it's just what keeps her happiest. Although she still prefers playing with things other than the iPad and watching TV.

#11 ·
Well, if you use it as a "tv", that's something else. But in my experience, kids rather play with it than watch something on it. And when they play on it, they become totally immersed, not hearing what going on around them. They get detached. And once they're older, say past 6 y.o. everything kinds of become somewhat boring if it's not on an Ipad.
What will they want once they get an Ipad? A freaking 32'' Imac? What's the next step past that?

#12 ·
Father of a 9 year old here. I'm not against it. As long as you control what content it shown and the amount of usage, then it's totally okay imo. I can totally see how people think others will use it out of laziness because it CAN and WILL happen.

Babies are sponges for information the whole time they're awake. Give them the right information, not a bunch of junk.

also, how many parents don't just put their baby in front of TV anyway?

#15 ·
This is a toddler chair. There should be no screen at all, whatever it is IMO. When kids are older, I don't mind it as long as, like you said, content is controlled. We all put our kids in front of the tv at some point, but creating a chair like that for a toddler gives a too-easy way out for parents that don't care that much already. Let's wait and see what kind of behavior their teen kids will have, when they get an Ipad before knowing how to speak, read and talk correctly... AND learn the VALUE of things. No kid can understand that an IPAD is no 50$ toy. They make no difference.

#13 ·
My 6 year old sister got an iPad for her birthday, I can see the appeal of giving your kid a distraction to get them out of your hair but a couple hundred dollar piece of technology is a bit much. Oh well, maybe I'm just jealous cause I just got a $30 GC gift card for my 18th. :shrug:

#18 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Matt C said:
Until you have kids, you really shouldn't be so quick to judge.

My son has been using an iPhone or iPad since he was about a year old. Do we leave him alone with it? No. But it has gotten us through some rough dinners, plane trips and long drives.
You don't let your servants take care of that?

#20 ·
First, I don't like this product. It's aimed at an age far too young for this stuff. HOWEVER: there's definitely a place for iPads (or tablets in general) for kids. My kids watch movies on long car rides, because they're quite young, and it's really no different than watching TV on a long car ride.

My son spends time on one every night, doing educational apps. He's 3, yet knows far more than I did at his age. My 6 year old daughter does educational apps as well, and while certainly the iPad isn't the only reason why, they're wanting to move her up a grade.

Like any technology, it can either help, hinder, or hurt you. That includes kids. It's all how it's used, and how it's monitored. There are no Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc. apps on there. It's all math, writing, language skills apps.

#23 ·
Mostly ABC Mouse, but there are some good letters and numbers apps too, as well as letter tracing. The thing is, while you can do most of this stuff with books and such like the old days, the iPad makes it fun for them. Because of that, they actually want to do it, as opposed to fighting us on it daily.

#24 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Leon said:
I don't see what the problem is... I mean, Dave is a SysAdmin, and could certainly benefit from having the holder...
You no longer have a beard, because you are not a man.

#28 ·
Ummm, my son really didn't watch tv until well after his second birthday- because we didn't put it on for him (except a very occasional Elmo).

I have a nephew the same age who basically ate every meal staring at a dvd player, to the point where that was the routine, and another nephew who was given a dvd player somewhere between 1 and 2. I love my siblings, but no fucking way would I ever start my kids out staring at ANY screen at that age. Starting at 3 years old my son started using my Nook tablet to watch Curious George on Netflix and play some memory-matching games, etc., but he wasn't given unlimited access. He is almost 4 now and we are going to give him a LeapPad with some learning games.

Bottom line- this seat = BAD idea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.