Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Halp!

I'm setting up a tele for a coworker and I can't get one of the saddles to adjust for radius. It seems like the screws have either seized, or are completely stripped.

They are strat style saddles in black chrome :facepalm:

Any suggestions?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If macro pics would be helpful I'll take some. Not tonight though, tomorrow.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Sounds like the saddle screws are probably stripped. I have several guitars this occured in. I actually got replacements from Ace or True Value's "loose hardware" drawer section.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
They can give us a better idea of whats going on but it does sound like you have a stripped screw

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Inform the person in question of the problem, ans see if he's willing to shell out to replace the saddle and set screws. I'm sure you can find some at a reasonable price. If the set screw is seized, this may be the only option, since replacing just the set screws will be impossible if you can't get them out, no?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the saddle screws are probably stripped. I have several guitars this occured in. I actually got replacements from Ace or True Value's "loose hardware" drawer section.
This would be awesome, do you know what they're called in the hardware store? There' s a True Value right down the road from me.

Inform the person in question of the problem, ans see if he's willing to shell out to replace the saddle and set screws. I'm sure you can find some at a reasonable price. If the set screw is seized, this may be the only option, since replacing just the set screws will be impossible if you can't get them out, no?
Well, I could drill them out, or apply large amounts of WD40 and twist them out with a pair of pliers.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
This would be awesome, do you know what they're called in the hardware store? There' s a True Value right down the road from me.
I believe they're just considered an "allen screw". If memory serves I just brought one with me, gave it to a guy in a red vest and said "get me this" and they did. :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't get the fucking things out of the saddle :(

Anyone know where I can get a saddle in black chrome?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

I ended up buying a new set of saddles for him in black. The guitar was a dream to set up. I started with the saddles straight across, and a few strings were already intonated at that spot!

I almost didn't want to give the guitar back to him, it just sounded and played amazing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts