Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I was wondered if a Floyd is better for a flat radius than a compound radius? I'm thinking setting action on a floyd would be better on flat but I wanted to see what you guys think.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Floyd bridges and nuts have a designed-in radius (either 12" or 10") so unless you want to do a lot of shimming of saddles and modification of the nut, a radiused board would be better.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Floyd bridges and nuts have a designed-in radius (either 12" or 10") so unless you want to do a lot of shimming of saddles and modification of the nut, a radiused board would be better.
ah i see, thanks for the tid bit of info.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I think he meant single radius as opposed to compound radius, not infinite radius (flat).

I can't imagine there's really a big difference between the two cases. As Darren pointed out, you will buy the appropriate nut for the radius you're starting with (10" or 12"), and then set the saddles as they need to be to match the final radius. If it's a single radius... I've always been a little confused about that, e.g. how to properly set up an OFR over a 17" radius board. I guess you have to modify the locking nut to accommodate, and then obviously shim the saddles as appropriate?

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think he meant single radius as opposed to compound radius, not infinite radius (flat).

I can't imagine there's really a big difference between the two cases. As Darren pointed out, you will buy the appropriate nut for the radius you're starting with (10" or 12"), and then set the saddles as they need to be to match the final radius. If it's a single radius... I've always been a little confused about that, e.g. how to properly set up an OFR over a 17" radius board. I guess you have to modify the locking nut to accommodate, and then obviously shim the saddles as appropriate?
yeah I should of narrowed it down to this

10" - 16" Vs 18"

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
The bridge itself is flat, and the Saddles are different heights (on OFRs anyways). So he could just get a few of a single type saddle. The nut is a different issue.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok my question is basically already answered, you can use OFR on a Compound Radius out of the box with a setup where as a flatter radius may require some modification.

:yesway:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts