Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
From Parts Unknown
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Peavey 4x12 Black Widow cabinet back in the 80's. It would "electrify" the air, and you could feel the sound as much as you could hear it. I've never found anything since that had this effect. Unfortunately, I completely wore out the speakers. In fact, we opened it up to check them out and the cones were in tatters! Of course, this was after nearly 10 years of use with a 160 watt Peavey Mace amp head.

Two of the main features of BW speakers is that they use flat ribbon wire in the voice coils. This allows for a much denser core. Also, the magnets are "focused" so that more of the magnetic field is concentrated on the coil. It had the side-effect of making the speakers really heavy!

Are there any other speakers that have these features? I'm mostly looking for ones that have flat wire in the coils as it tends to make them more efficient. Peavey sells the speakers individually, but not installed in a cabinet. What's a good substitute?

Thanks . . .

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You want heavy, loud, powerful, and LOUD?

EVM-12Ls. Good luck moving the cab though :lol:

·
From Parts Unknown
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I have a Peavey Mace and a Peavey Roadmaster head at 160watts each. Admittedly, it's definitely overkill in a club setting, but with a delay and/or a Rocktron Prophesy 2 I can configure them in stereo and get some really great effects.

As far as the hearing protection goes, I had a lesson in how dangerous these amps can be back in the 80's. I had access to a second cabinet and connected 2 4x12 cabs to the Mace head and dimed the master gain. The sound was so vast and overwhelming that it was impossible to really hear it all at once. You only could hear parts of it.

The next day, my left ear, which usually faces the amp, developed a sharp pain. It went away after a few weeks, but I gained a newfound respect for these monsters (each with 6 6L6 power tubes).

What kind of hearing protection do you recommend?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Hearos.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts

·
From Parts Unknown
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to use the DA approach or I'll drown out the rest of the band!

Thanks! These cabinets contain PV Scorpions. They're pretty good, but not BW's. I'd really like to get 4 BW or maybe EVM-12L (Black label) cabs, but that would be hard to justify in a club setting. Still, it appeals to the sonic megalomaniac in me . . .

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I always liked the Scorpions back in the day. I'd crank, and crank, and crank the crap out of them to no end and they'd take it like champs. They may not be "marquee" speakers, but they're certainly not bad at all. :yesway:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts