Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I THINK we concluded that those are just pings, which makes them pretty decent, not as nice as an OFR, but way nicer than most licensed stuff

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I THINK we concluded that those are just pings, which makes them pretty decent, not as nice as an OFR, but way nicer than most licensed stuff
that works for me :yesway:.

but holy fuck some of those colour options are sexy. I like the antiqued trems, and the black chrome.
just bought the antique silver one :metal:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Yeah, the satn chrome and antique bronze are absolutely SICK looking. Let me know how they measure up!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I think we also concluded that it sucks epic amounts of monkey testicles that the lower end Floyds get all the cool color options. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

ohio_eric said:
I think we also concluded that it sucks epic amounts of monkey testicles that the lower end Floyds get all the cool color options. :lol:
I seem to recall that too lol

·
18,790 Posts
So what levels of floyd are highest to lowest? I know there's Special, OFR, and LFR. Are there any others?
The problem is, "LFR" or Licensed Floyd Rose just means it was manufactured by someone other than Floyd Rose, and there's a few companies making them, and they're all a little different. I believe even the "Special" is a Licensed Floyd Rose, technically.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
So what levels of floyd are highest to lowest? I know there's Special, OFR, and LFR. Are there any others?
OFR (Original Floyd Rose) is the real deal, and the next closest is the Schaller licensed FR, followed by the Ping bridges (the Floyd Rose Special and anything with the Ping logo).

OFR. Note that the base plate is one solid piece of case-hardened steel:

Schaller Floyd Rose. It has a cast base plate with hardened knife-edge inserts:

Ping. Note the ping logo by the arm socket:

Only the real Floyds have whale tails at 90 degrees to the baseplate. Schaller and Ping are really close, in the upper 80s somewhere. Everything else is noticeably, significantly smaller, and this is one of the points that effects tuning stability. Here is a Gotoh, where the difference should be readily apparent:

The Edge is the same:

To be honest, the effect is minimal. I've only noticed it when you do extreme dives, where the strings are bouncing off the frets. Occasionally, where the fine tuner meets the locking stud, slippage can occur and that string will return flat. However, a real Floyd never does that.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Thanks! And sorry for the noobness here, I've only owned an RG550 & an RG320 and never really dove into what was what. All I know is that if I get another Floyd, I'll know what to look for.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Thanks! And sorry for the noobness here, I've only owned an RG550 & an RG320 and never really dove into what was what. All I know is that if I get another Floyd, I'll know what to look for.
Personally, I would always choose between the real thing and the Schaller licensed varient (funny, since both are made by Schaller). An OFR is a really bright bridge, since the whole baseplate is stainless steel. The cast zinc plate of the Schallers gives a much warmer sound, so go with what your ears prefer. They're both awesome bridges.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I always thought Schaller did their own thing. Never knew their tie with Floyd.
When Floyd created the bridge, it cost him hundreds of dollars in materials and countless hours of time in a machine shop to make just one bridge. He didn't have the ability to manufacture bridges himself, so he partnered with Kramer (for capital) and Schaller (for manufacturing) to accomplish it. The company is actually extremely small, and based completely upon licensing fees. What makes an OFR "Original" is that it is the only bridge that utilizes all of the original patents.

Great read if you are interested: http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts6.htm

1 - 20 of 38 Posts