Metal Guitarist Forums banner

FNAD: Fryette / VHT Pittbull CLX

6532 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  technomancer
After talking to a couple of people I decided I needed to try out a Fryette CLX. Fortunately one popped up used at a not too insane price and I jumped on it.

So without anymore delay, here are some pics of my soon-to-arrive 2009 Fryette Pittbull Hundred/CLX

See less See more
Reactions: 3
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
what's the difference between this and the UL? If that thing sounds at all like the UL then it's awesome. I love my UL.
Less gain, different power tubes. I actually prefer it tonally to the UL.
You know, I have absolutely no idea what these amps sound like. Any recordings that are a good example of the "VHT sound"? Barring that, I'll have to find another excuse to take another business trip to Pittsburgh. :lol:
You know, I have absolutely no idea what these amps sound like. Any recordings that are a good example of the "VHT sound"? Barring that, I'll have to find another excuse to take another business trip to Pittsburgh. :lol:
I've played a Deliverance 60, and that's it. Very dry, grainy, and punchy, but cuts like a knife. None of those 'warm' frequencies that are so beloved by rock/fusion players, but because of that I bet it'd kill for live metal tones.
Same thing as Josh considering we played the same Deliverance 60 - it's very dry to my ears, very punchy as well and in a band situation I imagine would cut through like no tomorrow. Too tight and dry for my tastes though, it's like if you took a Mesa Mark series and squeezed any looseness out of it (if that makes any sense at all).

Not to mention, it forces you to change your playing style because ANY flaws you have, VHT/Freyette's will glorify them to everyone
Ben, you hit on my general problem with VHT/Fryette. They just don't seem all that natural to me in their response, although I do dig the dark/crisp midrange character. Engl has the same compression problem, except I don't even like the sound of Engls.
Ben, you hit on my general problem with VHT/Fryette. They just don't seem all that natural to me in their response, although I do dig the dark/crisp midrange character. Engl has the same compression problem, except I don't even like the sound of Engls.
:wub:

I too am anti-ENGL, it's too compressed and nasal-y for my tastes. I need something with a little bit of looseness to it.
I find it funny that people now describe Mesa as "loose", when Rectos were considered the tightest amps on the market in the 90s.
I find it funny that people now describe Mesa as "loose", when Rectos were considered the tightest amps on the market in the 90s.
i think it's just more and more guitar players in general with poor technique blaming equipment for their own shortcomings.

i dunno, i've just noticed this trend over the past few years with everyone needing every piece of gear they own to be "tight", when maybe it's not the gear, but just bad playing that's giving them problems :shrug:.

i've owned and played a decent amount of amps, and getting a "tight", or useable sound out of any of them has never been an issue.

rant over :lol:

awesome amp techno :yesway:. never played this model, but i :wub: the UL
Yeah I've really liked the hand full of clips I've heard, so when one showed up in minty shape used I jumped on it. Really looking forward to trying it out.

Also the character of the CLX is quite a bit different than the Deliverance amps.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.