Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not the best comparison or sound as I've just put my rig back together, and the playing gets more bored as I go on (I got really bored of the throwaway riffs), but decided to some quick recordings. It's sloppy, guitars are as is no eq. Just delay on the leads to cover up that I just made shit up for each one. First half of lead is bridge, ssecond bit at the end with the fast-ish run at the beginning is neck.

Amp is Road King, ts808 boost, channel 3 with el34/6l6. lead is channel 4 with 6l6's and a BB preamp boost. Recorded through the Torpedo Studio on a cab setting i've been toying with.

Enjoy. Maybe someone can tell the difference...

Guitars are:
UV7BK with Kent Armstrong rewound Blaze set

RG7CST with the stock pickups

RG2127 with Dimarzio Inoizers

UV7PWH with stock blaze pickups

Apex1 with Lundgren M7 set.

I'll probably listen back to this and go WTF and delete them at some point...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Huh, are they private, or did soundcloud change the way they embed stuff? All the clips just say "please visit soundcloud.com to listen to this content".

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Heh, you're right, these don't sound radically different... You can kind of hear it in the attack (especially the M7/Apex).Hopping back and forth rapidly helps - the Blazes actually (IMO) sound the thinnest, thought the Armstrong rewounds sound a little more fleshed out. The CST is a little flubby in the low/low mids. The M7 has this EMG thing going on in the high end that I don't really love... The Ionizer, actually, is kind of unremarkable but just pretty neutral, and in turn effective. I think the Armstrong rewinds may actually be my favorites - it's got a lot of the vibe of the Blaze, but overall sounds thicker.

KILLER lead playing, by the way. Off to go practice. :lol:

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think quad tracking may have been overkill and probably is masking some differences, I might bounce them down again with just one rhythm track l, one right....

The Kent Armstrongs are really nice, like you said, thicker and hotter than the blaze, but the bridge is still great for rhythm stuff.

The stock blazes really did feel underpowered through the recto as well, and they do sound it, but then, they have "that" sound which reminds e of morbid angel in the 90's... However, it is pretty much my favorite lead sound, well, in terms of playing it was the least fighty, whereas the 2127 I really did have to battle with a bit.

I'd actually expected more difference seeing how the guitars are basswood, mahogony and mahogony/maple, but there's very little in it. I also think the tubescreamer is colouring it a fair bit as well.

Never done pickup comparisons before, and I really did expect there to be a much bigger difference.

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:lol:

Dude, you know you can happily say whatever you want, been at this shit for too long to be remotely offended!

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I don't believe t all pickups sound the same but these clips were very similar sounding. The differences that jumped out at me were the pwh with the blaze sounded better for the palm muted chords - it seemed to keep more definition. The pwh apex and cst all sounded good on the triplet section near the start they were tighter sounding to me.

Tonally though i thought they all sounded very similar.

If these are all pickups you like it would be quite likely for them to sound similar though.

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't believe t all pickups sound the same but these clips were very similar sounding. The differences that jumped out at me were the pwh with the blaze sounded better for the palm muted chords - it seemed to keep more definition. The pwh apex and cst all sounded good on the triplet section near the start they were tighter sounding to me.

Tonally though i thought they all sounded very similar.

If these are all pickups you like it would be quite likely for them to sound similar though.
Yep, minor minor differences, but I guess you're right that I know what I like. I kept all the gain settings and everything the same. Unfortunately I got less arsed about playing everything tightly towards the end...

The main thing I got out of it is that I think I percieve pickups sounding more different than they are bacause they feel different when playing through them, some feel stiffer, some feel more liquid for leads, others put up a fight.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Id be interested to hear what one of the pickups sounded like through all of the guitars but the amount of work that would go into that comparison is about as appealing as putting chilli sauce up your own arse! It would probably come out with similar results as well!

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
Can't see why not. You just trying to get away from soldering?

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
I liked the cut of the PWH but it's way unbalanced between chords and palm muting, I think the M7 had the same 'lively' thing going on but more balanced.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts