Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mr. Oni Guitars
1,366 Posts
Well, well... someone else reseating with CA. I use jaws clamps to reseat with CA before levelling. It's getting to be that almost all guitars I'm seeing now have loose frets :rant:

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
I wish I wouldn't have asked to close my BRj 828 thread at ss.org... I can't say a word about the process, but the end results are what I expect on nicely crowned and polished frets.

:yesway:

EDIT:

God damn that looks like a lot of work.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Very nice writeup. It's also neat to see the Stew-Mac jig in action.

Well, well... someone else reseating with CA. I use jaws clamps to reseat with CA before levelling. It's getting to be that almost all guitars I'm seeing now have loose frets :rant:
My limited experience (as a hobbyist who likes to fix things) has been the same. I wish more manufacturers installed frets with tons of glue, like PRS does.

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses :)

You know it Dan!

I wish I wouldn't have asked to close my BRj 828 thread at ss.org... I can't say a word about the process, but the end results are what I expect on nicely crowned and polished frets.

:yesway:

EDIT:

God damn that looks like a lot of work.
Some guitars are more work than others, but generally I'll spend about 3hrs doing an average full fret dress and setup. The part I find the most pain in the ass is the polishing. Ugh...cramps-up my hand and arm sometimes.

Very nice writeup. It's also neat to see the Stew-Mac jig in action.

My limited experience (as a hobbyist who likes to fix things) has been the same. I wish more manufacturers installed frets with tons of glue, like PRS does.
That jig is awesome, and after you get used to it and see the results, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. It just works.

I remember thinking the same about PRS. At my old, extremely busy shop back at L&M, we saw very few PRS' coming in for any repair work, per se, just basic setups, and I only have done 1 fret dress on a PRS ever - a Custom 22 - which was surprising to us. Mind you, those frets were very worn, so it wasn't a matter of lifting frets in that case - just removing the wear divots, buying him some time before a complete refret.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Certainly the most complete fret dressing I've ever seen. Bookmarked :yesway:

BADA-CLAMP, BADA-CLAMP!

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Guys out here generally charge between 125-195.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So the neck jog is worth it you think though, Allen?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
damn a lot of work goes into that job. Its crazy how crappy the factory fretjob is.
Dude, you'd be surprised. My first couple fretjobs (read: beginner) were STILL a tremendous step-up from the way the guitars came from the factory, and believe, that's no credit to me.

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had no idea it was that involved. So how much does getting that done typically cost?
Well, the amount I'm charging here in Norway would be disproportionate compared to you guys, particularly in N.America because everything is ridiculously expensive but wages are high. But back in Toronto I was charging $125-140 CDN for a dress.

So the neck jog is worth it you think though, Allen?
Max, you have no idea bud...it's perhaps the most important tool in my shop, gets tons of use, and has easily paid for itself. The results, when used by a well-seasoned tech with already plenty of experience and a good eye for detail, can easily rival the results done by a Plek machine - you just cant execute the task without some elbow grease or in 20-30 mins like the machine can.

damn a lot of work goes into that job. Its crazy how crappy the factory fretjob is.
You wouldn't believe it...I've been telling customers for years that most production guitars by the big companies need proper leveling right out of the box. Shoddy fretwork is one of my biggest peeves with particularly most of the Asian companies <coughLTDSchecterCortplantcough> that put more effort into putting thick, glitzy finishes and tons of gaudy inlay - rather than make the guitar play great - which is actually less labor effort to achieve in the factory than all that stupid inlay. <end mini-rant>

1 - 20 of 31 Posts