1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That's a lot of money for no CoA and a one-feedback seller.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Basically. Charvel started as a company that sold bodies, necks, electronics, and hardware. This kind of stuff is on my valuable because stupid, pre-lawsuit Strathead superfans drive up the value to ridiculous prices. Give me a pointy for far less that is often of higher quality.

·
The Devil's Advocate
238 Posts
I'm prepared to get slaughtered for this because I know this crowd but... Am I the only one who wishes Charvel didn't use the Fender headstock? It's completely illogical, but I would be so much more interested in one if they had a more unique headstock design.

That being said, The one above looks freaking killer otherwise, I hope they do some sort of reissue on that.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I'm prepared to get slaughtered for this because I know this crowd but... Am I the only one who wishes Charvel didn't use the Fender headstock? It's completely illogical, but I would be so much more interested in one if they had a more unique headstock design.

That being said, The one above looks freaking killer otherwise, I hope they do some sort of reissue on that.
All the "sorta strat" headstocks Charvel used were fugly. I don't care for the string angle on Jackson's pointy. So I love that the strathead is back. I would never pay the money for a prepro though, worse than the 90s vintage market. :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts

Wayne Charvel started out life running a repair shop for out-of-warranty Fenders. Then he moved into modding and hot-rodding them, before teaming up with Grover Jackson to start making parts, and iirc Grover bought the company off of him and started making his own guitars after that (first with the Charvel name, then his own). I guess it made sense to have the strat headstock. It wasn't for long though, they moved onto the concord headstock pretty quickly, it's only since 2010 (I think?) when Charvel started up again with the whole Pro Mod thing, they were owned by Fender at that point anyway so it was just a nod to the whole hot-rod heyday.

This is the reason I'm not a fan of the 2017-onwards Charvels. They seem to have lost the Fender-ness. They may as well have Jackson headstocks again if you ask me, they look less hot-rod and more like a slick Dinky model or something.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found also this one on a French Classified site:

Description is interesting:

CHARVELCarbonized Strat of 2011 Redwood / Maple Model (Maple / Maple)
Flamed maple neck with vacuum de-ionization and stabilization process - 135-year-old redwood

body Description:

- Recycled Redwood Body:
The pieces of Redwood used in this run of guitars was originally used in the construction of the Brown's Trestle Canyon, near Occidental, California. The trestle was built in 1876, and at the time it was the longest trestle west of the Mississippi to carry trains which were logging the Redwood Forest following the California Gold Rush.The trestle was taken apart during the 1930's, and some of the lumber was used for constructing in San Jose, California shopping center. Fast forward to today, when the shopping center is no longer, and we have turned these 135-year-old pieces of wood into some of the best sounding Charvels we have ever heard.

Seymour Duncan pickups.
Only 8 copies made in 2011 with this configuation wood / pickups / vibrato
(About forty copies in all, depending on the equipment, for this series)

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still no absolute info on whats going on with Charvel, but they keep teasing us and instead of me creating a misleading Charvel 2018 until they announce it, im using this one.

This appeared a day or two ago:

So what do we know? 24 fret models are coming with some "exotic" wood on the fretboard.

What I would personally love to see on ProMods:

- 24 fret Reverse Headstock on Maple fretboard
- Two point Bridge without a locking Nut, just like Guthrie sig and the new Ibanez
- HS and HSS configs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts