Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
netmusicians.org - the guitar gear mp3 database

This guy is from HCAF, and he posted a couple mp3's from a Fender Prosonic and a VHT Deliverance. The clips sound pretty good; definitely better to my ears than any of the Grendel clips I've heard. For $330, it's a steal, even if you plan on swapping the speaker.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
It's a little tough for me to evaluate because those aren't sounds I would normally use, but I definitely hear the "boxiness" that you get with iso cabs, even the Grendel. I've gotten better sounds with the Grendel than that, but I had to work at getting the right mic and mucking around with mic positioning and post-EQ.

For that price, it's probably worth experimenting with it, though.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Doesn't sound bad, though I can hear what Chris is saying about the "boxiness". I guess that's to be expected though.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

jacksonplayer said:
It's a little tough for me to evaluate because those aren't sounds I would normally use, but I definitely hear the "boxiness" that you get with iso cabs, even the Grendel. I've gotten better sounds with the Grendel than that, but I had to work at getting the right mic and mucking around with mic positioning and post-EQ.

For that price, it's probably worth experimenting with it, though.
I don't remember hearing your clips from the grendel, just the AFX. Do you have them online?

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Council of One

My two most recent albums, The February Project and The Structure Creates Itself, are 100% Grendel. Most of the tracks feature the Axe-FX as the preamp and a Peavey Classic 50/50 as the power amp.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Phasey and boxy sounding wouldn't exactly be my definition of 'good' :lol:
Seems like it's much easier to get a quality 4x12 and mic that, then to have to battle with an ISO cab that has inherently inferior tonal qualities for a recording.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Seems like it's much easier to get a quality 4x12 and mic that, then to have to battle with an ISO cab that has inherently inferior tonal qualities for a recording.
Except, you know, for those who can't crank up a 4x12 at home :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Except, you know, for those who can't crank up a 4x12 at home :lol:
Yeah, it's kinda missing the point. I'm guessing Harry doesn't have a 6 month old at home. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Heck, unless you live out in the woods by yourself like the Unabomber, it's tough to crank up a 4x12 anywhere.

Back in college, my dorm (the "music" dorm) had a practice room in the basement. Plenty of bands practiced there without incident, bashing Bonham-wannabe drummers and all. But one day I decided to dime my Carvin X100B w/4x12 Celestions in the practice room. The resulting din made it through the ventilation system and every single person in the dorm heard it. The only time that ever happened. Mind you, this was years before Hot Plates were readily available.

So yeah, 4x12s can be 'problematic' at home. :lol:

One thing about this Jet City cab that bothers me is that the sound chamber doesn't look nearly as large as the one on my Grendel. You can do a lot with Auralex, but a smaller space in front of the speaker is going to be inherently boxier than a larger space.

I've actually been reasonably happy with the results I got from the Grendel. I've started getting better results with DI in the newer Axe-FX firmware versions, and that's why I've gone away from the Grendel a bit in recent months. Like I said before, the Jet City is cheap enough that it's worth trying out for anyone who's curious. Mic placement and post-EQ can fix a lot of the problems with iso cabs if you work at it. It's never going to be exactly the same as a good 4x12, but it can be made into a workable solution for home use.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Your neighbors are far too close for the average sociopath to deal with, Crooks.

On the other hand, if you start turning out rambling, murderous screeds, I guess we'll know the reason... :lol:

Move back to wyoming. :yesway: My house is like a quarter mile away from the nearest neighbors :lol:
It's probably a little too late for me to start a career in the ranching industry. :lol:

My grandparents' little ranch in eastern Wyoming was way more than a quarter mile from the nearest neighbors. I used to think about building a personal studio there and dropping out of society, but alas the family sold it years ago. A little impractical, too, considering the locals have to drive about 50 miles for things like gas and groceries.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
It's probably a little too late for me to start a career in the ranching industry. :lol:

My grandparents' little ranch in eastern Wyoming was way more than a quarter mile from the nearest neighbors. I used to think about building a personal studio there and dropping out of society, but alas the family sold it years ago. A little impractical, too, considering the locals have to drive about 50 miles for things like gas and groceries.
:lol:

Jazz fusion cattle ranch recording studio

NAO :scream:

You could call it the final frontier.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
:lol:

Jazz fusion cattle ranch recording studio

NAO :scream:

You could call it the final frontier.
And to think I don't even own a Telecaster.

Actually, some folks pretty much beat me to it. There's an artists' colony on an old ranch about 20 miles or so from my grandparents' old spread:

Ucross Foundation - About -

My grandparents' ranch house was originally an old stagecoach stop built before many (white) people actually settled the area. It's pretty cool, but the new owners put a vinyl roof on it, so it's not exactly 'authentic' now. Not much room, either, unlike Matt "Unabomber" Crooks' house. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
And to think I don't even own a Telecaster.

Actually, some folks pretty much beat me to it. There's an artists' colony on an old ranch about 20 miles or so from my grandparents' old spread:

Ucross Foundation - About -

My grandparents' ranch house was originally an old stagecoach stop built before many (white) people actually settled the area. It's pretty cool, but the new owners put a vinyl roof on it, so it's not exactly 'authentic' now. Not much room, either, unlike Matt "Unabomber" Crooks' house. :lol:
Artist Colony? :ugh: That sounds suspicously like a cult :lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dude .. OMG how boxy does this thing sound .... ughhhh

yup not buying one!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts