Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does your setup look like? For example, what distro do you use? What software do you use for productivity (office,recording,etc)? What is your favorite method for running Windows apps (different flavors of wine)? etc.

It's been a while since I've run linux on the desktop exclusively, so I'd be interested to see where it is now. I've been a Mac user for so long now that I haven't looked at linux for anything but secondary laptops.

For my Dell Mini10v Netbook:

Apps: Google Chrome, Pidgin, Skype, VLC

That's pretty much all I do on the thing :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
This is gonna be a short thread :lol: I couldn't run Linux exclusively... I don't even run it in dual-boot anymore...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I used to suffer with Linux on my desktop, and then I got a Mac. It's still UNIX, but I have a real UI and applications.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I used to suffer with Linux on my desktop, and then I got a Mac. It's still UNIX, but I have a real UI and applications.
:agreed:

But, before I could afford the Mac, I was running Debian-based distro's (Debian itself, Ubuntu, Mint).

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

noodles said:
I have that same story, but linux (namely Ubunu) has come far since I last used it.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
ubuntu 10.04 is sick :agreed:

Im really impressed with it actually

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the latest Ubuntu is very nice. I am running it on the netbook. The only issue with linux that I see anymore is the lack of mainstream productivity software.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I have that same story, but linux (namely Ubunu) has come far since I last used it.
pro audio apps still lick balls though.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I use Mepis 8 on my laptop at home.

I don't do a lot with it other than read e-mail (kmail) and surf the web (ffox). For any mild productivity needs OpenOffice is plenty for my needs. K3B for burning DVD/CD's.

I use krdc a lot for tapping into my FTP server which is limping along on an old WinXP install because I'm too lazy to convert it.

I don't do any recording with Linux though I've tried out various apps. Most didn't come close to what I've been spoiled with (Qbase, Nuendo, Acid, ProTools, etc.). I have used Audacity a fair bit and it's okay.

The only app I desperatly miss and have not been successful in getting it to run under Wine is Google Sketchup. I REALLY wish they would release a native Linux version but I've been waiting years now. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I use Mepis 8 on my laptop at home.

I don't do a lot with it other than read e-mail (kmail) and surf the web (ffox). For any mild productivity needs OpenOffice is plenty for my needs. K3B for burning DVD/CD's.

I use krdc a lot for tapping into my FTP server which is limping along on an old WinXP install because I'm too lazy to convert it.

I don't do any recording with Linux though I've tried out various apps. Most didn't come close to what I've been spoiled with (Qbase, Nuendo, Acid, ProTools, etc.). I have used Audacity a fair bit and it's okay.

The only app I desperatly miss and have not been successful in getting it to run under Wine is Google Sketchup. I REALLY wish they would release a native Linux version but I've been waiting years now. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.
I've actually found OpenOffice to be absolutely terrible if you want to be able to open your documents in other office suites :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:agreed: I've learned to hate Open Office. I could not do without Microsoft Office or Apple iWork.

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
I agree with Elysian, most can not use it exclusively.

I don't use Ubuntu exclusively thanks to audio and video production and the hardware compatibility related to those tasks. If it wasn't for those things, it would be very easy to use it exclusively.

In general if I'm on the internet or editing photos, or anything else other than the two things above I'm using Ubuntu 10.04. It is the best version so far and is absolutely great.

Firefox-
Wine-compatibility layer that works great for photo editing software. It supposedly runs photoshop perfectly.
Rhythmbox-syncs my ipod nano
Pidgin-instant messenger
Skype-
GIMP-photo editing

Open Office(also available on windows) has been a really nice office suite. I use that as my only office suite. I'm not a fan of microsoft office, it's ridiculous bloatware that rips a lot of people off IMO.

Some weaknesses that I see are:
printer compatibility
advanced video editing is lacking
IPV6 glitch(I hope they have fixed that by now)

Using it exclusively is impossible for me, but dual booting it and using on my laptop is very nice. I absolutely prefer it for everything except for the 2 big things.

EDIT:
I haven't had any issues opening open office docs in MSO. Any details on those issues? I'm curious about that.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I've actually found OpenOffice to be absolutely terrible if you want to be able to open your documents in other office suites :lol:
Yup, I've had the same problems.
:agreed: I've learned to hate Open Office. I could not do without Microsoft Office or Apple iWork.
I can't say I've done a lot of porting back and forth. I don't really find a lot of reason to use productivity software at home. The odd time I have played around with it I've opened very complex spreadsheets with VBA macros in OO and yeah, it chokes on those but that's not surprising. I haven't really tried going the other way.

Of course, it's hard to blame OO for other software not being able to format their STANDARD xml docs properly. I thought I had heard that MSO was going to include native support for ODF? I haven't tried it.

I use MSO at work every day and while I appreciate it's power (hate the new #@$%ing ribbon though) there isn't a chance in hell I would pay full price for the honor of opening docs at home. Sure most people that have MSO at home have pirated it and you could say it's no big deal but one of the reasons I got into Linux in the first place was to get away from constantly slinking around and jumping through hoops to activate pirated warez. For anything I need to do at home OO does fine and I should be able to expect other software to read a STANDARD document format correctly. Of course the reality could be something different. Hasn't really been an issue for me though.

Most of my home use is surfing the web and reading e-mail. I find these tasks FAR more enjoyable on Linux. Hell even my wife uses it without noticing which OS she's on. She seems to slightly prefer Linux now as well...that is of course when she can tell.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
i love open office. I used this trick called "changing the default document type in settings to .doc/.xls etc" , and its been working great ever since

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Office compatibility is why I can't use Linux exclusively. I couldn't find any note-taking apps that come close to comparing to Microsoft OneNote, and Office 2010 isn't Wine compatible, so I run Windows 7 and haven't looked back.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
One note is the one thing open office or anything comparable cant seem to touch. A great program :agreed:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts