Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I foolishly sold my Riveras a while back because I was expecting on only jamming in bedrooms through VSTs, but my buddy conscripted me into his Black Metal band.

Their choice of amp, not mine, we went in on it as a band. I don't like the Mesa sound, and I hate v30s in a room (especially an enclosed rehearsal space) I'm all about Marshalls.

I know the Roadsters are "MG.org cred" amps though.

At least the HM-2 into the clean channel sounds awesome. :immortal:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I had one of those, and loved it with the volume set to DESTROY THE UNIVERSE loud.

Down low, I could never get to not sound like it had a blanket over the cab. Awesome blues/rock amp, damn decent metal amp when I could open it up, but I never got along with it for anything else.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had one of those, and loved it with the volume set to DESTROY THE UNIVERSE loud.

Down low, I could never get to not sound like it had a blanket over the cab. Awesome blues/rock amp, damn decent metal amp when I could open it up, but I never got along with it for anything else.
Agreed, it's really more of a rock amp IMO. I would take a 5150 over it any day of the week.

Full opinion withheld until I try it with something other than v30s. Love them recorded, but in a room competing with a drummer it's just honky mid range ear fatigue.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I use a Marshall 1960A with my Recto, but swapped two of the T75's out for V30's so I get the best of both worlds. The 1960's are cheap enough, especially second hand, so go forth, and do!

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I like the Roadster and Road King, so I approve of this :yesway: However it's absolutely not an amp I'd have chosen for black metal :lol:

You could try some C90's for more Mesa awesomeness with a darker edge to it, or as Matt suggested, a 1960A with two V30's and two T75's in an X pattern is basically an Uberkab on the cheap. Sounds very good too.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Throw EL34's in it and hit up ch2 and ch 3 vintage for marshall flavour - that's when I learned I prefer marshall tones :lol:.

Congrats I think.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Try Ch 4, Modern mode, treble off, midrange dimed, bass off, presence (keep it lowish) and gain to taste. Got me some Marshally type tones out of mine. Though I wasn't running V30s when I did that.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Try Ch 4, Modern mode, treble off, midrange dimed, bass off, presence (keep it lowish) and gain to taste. Got me some Marshally type tones out of mine. Though I wasn't running V30s when I did that.
It's a nice amp, but the only amps I am interested in having these days for personal use are Riveras and VHTs.

I wanna pick up a Deliverance 120 at some point. I love those things. Wish they had a dedicated clean channel.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Throw EL34's in it...
Hmm. Maybe KT77's would be a better choice. They'll have the body of the 6L6, but some of the crunch of the EL34.

Also, if you put a MXR 10-band EQ in the loop, you can get some pretty wicked EQ variation pretty quickly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.