Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread:I'm Just Going to Leave This Here - Page 5

Basically its a stripped down amp modeler and Fx unit meant to be price competitive.

From Cliff
I'll just say a few things:

It is not an Axe-Fx. It won't be able to do two amps or two cabs. It won't have things like the Vocoder and other esoteric blocks. It's a stripped down floor version at an aggressive price.

It will have G3 modeling and user IR slots. It has two dual-core DSPs, one for amp modeling the other for effects. These DSPs are slower than the ones in the Axe-Fx so it won't be able to do two instance of amps.

There will be block compatibility between the Axe-Fx and the AX-8 meaning you can copy blocks from your Axe-Fx presets into the AX-8.

It has USB, XLR outs for FOH, 1/4 outputs for local monitoring and an FX loop. Four expression pedal inputs. AC powered, no wall-wart.
I know how you guys feel about these things, but I thought this was pretty neat.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
oh daaaaamn, this might be just want i need. i've never needed many effects and never got close to using half the features on the axefx ultra or 2 that i had. hopefully the price is within my range

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
If they somehow manage to keep this under $1000, then holy shit. :lol:

I'd imagine it'll be around $1200 - $1500, though.
I dunno, if they're trying to price it competitively, that's like double what the line 6 stuff goes for. What other floor units are there?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I think "priced aggressively" will probably put it right at a grand, which would still be 'competitive' with Line 6, to some degree. :2c:

I like the idea. Not so much just because I'm a cheapskate, but more the idea of a stripped down Axe-Fx because I'm more of a 'one amp, one effect' type guy and too many options are overwhelming. Only paying for the features I use is a godsend.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I dunno, if they're trying to price it competitively, that's like double what the line 6 stuff goes for. What other floor units are there?
I was assumming that price because isn't the FX-8 like $1500? I'd think getting this close to the price of a POD HD would be difficult, but it does seem like having a weaker DSP would help with that.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Will be mine. I use a M13 right now but will buy this when it's out.:yesway:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I owned an Axe-FX Ultra for almost 3 years, but after I sold it, I doubted I would buy another because of how expensive it is and how I had to buy a ton of auxiliary equipment to use it (such as the floorboard). Even if I got seriously back into a band like I was when I had my Axe-FX, I doubt I would dish out all the cash to get a new one.

BUT if this thing comes out and is under $1000, I can pretty much guarantee I would get one within a year of release. It's EXACTLY what I want. To tell the truth, there were very few times that I needed all the bells and whistles on the Axe-FX Ultra. Most of the time, I just used a really nice clean, a really nice distorted metal rhythm, and a nice distorted lead tone with some delay and other effects.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It'll probably be $1500 or so like the FX-8 (The effects only model that you use with an amp). Still a really good deal in my book. If he managed to get it down to a grand I would be very surprised. Then again he did say the processors were basically 1/2 as powerful.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

$1500 + flight case if you tour. Damn son.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I would like a Fractal product at some point in my life.

Not sure if I would every use any of that dual cab/head business that the Axe can do.

If it was under 1000 that would be a no brainer. Above 1000 and I have to start thinking about how much better it is than say Line 6 HD500X. Even at 1000 I'd be thinking that.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
If it can run the actual AFX firmware and (modest) presets, then I predict there's no way it comes in at under $1,000. The processing power needed would still considerably more than what Line 6 uses.

If I was Cliff, I'd worry a bit about it cannibalizing AFX/MFC sales, since there are a ton of folks who'd never use more than a single amp block in any of their presets. Even at $1,500, that's nearly a grand less than an AFX.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Reality check: there is no way this is going to be cheaper than the FX-8 which is $1349.95 :2cents:

That said if the feature set is decent as far as what it can run it's still be a good deal at $1500.

·
Honorary MG Djent Ambassador
1,128 Posts
Reality check: there is no way this is going to be cheaper than the FX-8 which is $1349.95 :2cents:

That said if the feature set is decent as far as what it can run it's still be a good deal at $1500.
Very good point. NO way it is coming in at under 1k. Cliff has said himself he makes stuff to be good, not cheap. I doubt this will have everything that the Axe fx II does, but I imagine it will be super awesome. Im just curious how routing will work on it.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
At $1500, it's about half the cost of an AFXII+MFC, so that strikes me as a pretty incredible bargain. Still too rich for my blood, though.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts