Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Man, that brings up memories...

I had to write a paper for a friend for her final as an art major, and it was on this guy. Boy, I learned more about Francisco de Goya in a week then I ever thought I would have learned.

It is very interesting to note the dramatic style and characteristic change between his early works (the Caprichos) and his noted "Black Paintings" most of which are the pictures you have posted.

I didn't know they shaved and got breast implants back in the 1800's...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I didn't know they shaved and got breast implants back in the 1800's...
:yesway: So true! Sexual infantilization has stood the test of time. Look at that one pointing north and the other pointing south. Make a choice, boobs.

Man I went to Spain when I was 12 and saw some of his more disturbing work from after he started going crazy, Saturn devouring his sons in particular, and I had nightmares for a month.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
It's a very interesting dichotomy. Didn't he start going really crazy after he went deaf?

There's this one self-portrait he did in 1826, called "Self-Portrait in a Tall Hat," where he has the most intense, crazy look in his eyes. I can't find it on the internet, but I have it sitting here in this book on my desk. Anyway, I thought it was interesting that he painted himself with that look, almost as if he were mocking the viewer. He was well-known for hating fanatics and zealots. I'm sure he had a lot of condescension to do. Painting the look was quicker than giving it to everyone. :lol:

Oh! But if we're talking about scary paintings, we mustn't forget Hieronymus Bosch :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts