Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Frankie Boyle's an odd one. Wickedly funny, but his live dvd is a struggle - I feel a good comedian can make things flow, and he does not.

For Scottish talent, Kevin Bridges is better:

For British talent, Sean Lock is the funniest guy in the country:

And the only funny American comedian I know, Rich Hall:

The first 30 seconds here are amazing:

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Sean Lock is really good. Been busy checking him out after you sent me the link on msn.
Thx for the tip on Rich Hall, first funny american I've seen since Eddie Murphy(and he's only funny on occasion).

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
The problem with Frankie Boyle is that if you've watched "Mock The Week"...then you've already seen his stand-up.

Kevin Bridges = :yesway: Fine example of a great young comedian. Can't wait to see more of his stuff.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Hey stitch, why does everything have to break down to nationality? I couldnt give a flying fuck where a guy came from. If hes funny, hes funny.

·
ENGLErnieBallGraphTechBKP
306 Posts
Frankie Boyle's an odd one. Wickedly funny, but his live dvd is a struggle - I feel a good comedian can make things flow, and he does not.

For Scottish talent, Kevin Bridges is better:

YouTube - Kevin Bridges on Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow 06/06/09

For British talent, Sean Lock is the funniest guy in the country:

YouTube - Sean Lock Live (Part 4 of 9)

And the only funny American comedian I know, Rich Hall:

YouTube - Rich Hall - Live at the Apollo 10/10/2005 (Part 1 of 2)

The first 30 seconds here are amazing:

YouTube - Rich Hall - Live at the Apollo part 1
What no Dara O'Briain?? Bill Bailey?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Hey stitch, why does everything have to break down to nationality? I couldnt give a flying fuck where a guy came from. If hes funny, hes funny.
I wouldn't say everything does break down to nationality. I think it's more a cultural divide, you know? America and Britain may share a common language but I think we're more different than we realise. :shrug: There are only a handful of comedians I find genuinely funny (I find a lot to be simply boring, or clearly trying too hard) and of those they are all British. Apart from Rich Hall. And Reginald D. Hunter. And yet, those two have very British senses of humour - I watch the stuff people recommend, like Louis Watsispuss and Eddie Murphy and the like, and I just don't laugh. :shrug:

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
I've seen Dara O'Briain and Omid Djalili live and both were brilliant. :yesway:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Dara O'Brian and Russel Howard are both very good too. I'm also quite partial to Ed Byrne, Lee Evans and Andy Parsons. Hugh Dennis' skits from Mock the Week where he re-voices video footage are excellent too.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I wouldn't say everything does break down to nationality. I think it's more a cultural divide, you know? America and Britain may share a common language but I think we're more different than we realise. :shrug: There are only a handful of comedians I find genuinely funny (I find a lot to be simply boring, or clearly trying too hard) and of those they are all British. Apart from Rich Hall. And Reginald D. Hunter. And yet, those two have very British senses of humour - I watch the stuff people recommend, like Louis Watsispuss and Eddie Murphy and the like, and I just don't laugh. :shrug:

YouTube - David Mitchell shares his views about Asking Inappropriate Questions
most comedy is about culture so unless you have experienced the culture thats being made fun of i doubt you would find it funny.

My friends in Missouri probably wouldnt have any idea why Frankie Boyle or Kevin Bridges jokes are funny because they dont live in Glasgow.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
Dara O'Brian and Russel Howard are both very good too. I'm also quite partial to Ed Byrne, Lee Evans and Andy Parsons. Hugh Dennis' skits from Mock the Week where he re-voices video footage are excellent too.
Russel Howard is incredibly funny. I think they showed his live DVD on BBC3 the other day and it was hilarious. Ed Byrne is great, I always think Mock The Week is better when he's on it. I think Hugh Dennis and Andy Parsons are the weakest on Mock The Week, but then Andy Parsons was pretty damn funny in the most recent series. Hugh Dennis is sometimes good in the stand-up bits, but he's a little inconsistent methinks.

Rufus Hound is a good guy to have a panel show, he's hilarious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts