Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any? I go to my email and see 4 new sent emails to all my contacts of some random link...i need to terminate the issue and then change my password on everything now.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Odds are he doesnt actually have spyware, and in reality just got phished

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Actually I wasn't trolling, I'm honestly in the dark a lot about Macs. I just hear people complain about Windows all the time (me included) but the one thing I hear about macs is people say "I'll never get viruses, I have a Mac!" and I just think that's a little insane. Apple did not create and impenetrable operating system, I think hackers just don't fucking care about Macs because there's not enough people actually on them.

·
18,790 Posts
Actually I wasn't trolling, I'm honestly in the dark a lot about Macs. I just hear people complain about Windows all the time (me included) but the one thing I hear about macs is people say "I'll never get viruses, I have a Mac!" and I just think that's a little insane. Apple did not create and impenetrable operating system, I think hackers just don't fucking care about Macs because there's not enough people actually on them.
What I've heard is that the other reason Macs don't get hacked/viruses often is that it's way too easy to do, and so there's no pride in it :lol:

But their main downfall and weakness is that they rely on their reputation of not getting viruses/hacked/other problems too much, so when you do have one of those problems, it's harder to find software to fix it, and Apple themselves don't make any :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
What I've heard is that the other reason Macs don't get hacked/viruses often is that it's way too easy to do, and so there's no pride in it :lol:
Whoever you heard that from has no idea what they're talking about dude. OSX is Unix-based. It's hardly "too easy", especially compared to a Microsoft product. The majority of hackers aren't out there to brag to their friends, they're out there to steal your credit card/bank/identity information.

"It's too easy so there's no pride" sounds like something you'd read on Youtube. :lol:

But their main downfall and weakness is that they rely on their reputation of not getting viruses/hacked/other problems too much, so when you do have one of those problems, it's harder to find software to fix it, and Apple themselves don't make any :lol:
Uh, until MS Security Essentials, Microsoft didn't make a useful AV/AS app either. That's why companies like Symantec/McAfee/etc are in business.

they rely on their reputation of not getting viruses/hacked/other problems too much
And that's just a straight up lie. :lol: GTFO of this thread fool, you have no idea what you're talking about. :wub:

·
18,790 Posts
Whoever you heard that from has no idea what they're talking about dude. OSX is Unix-based. It's hardly "too easy", especially compared to a Microsoft product. The majority of hackers aren't out there to brag to their friends, they're out there to steal your credit card/bank/identity information.

"It's too easy so there's no pride" sounds like something you'd read on Youtube. :lol:
Ah, I heard that from my buddy who's in a programming course, of which the professor is a huge Mac-hater :lol: Like I said, just something I heard tossed around, I don't know shit about this subject :lol:

Uh, until MS Security Essentials, Microsoft didn't make a useful AV/AS app either. That's why companies like Symantec/McAfee/etc are in business.
True enough :yesway: I just thought they might, since, y'know, "there's an app for that" :lol: They make their own version of almost everything else you'd need (basics-wise).

And that's just a straight up lie. :lol: GTFO of this thread fool, you have no idea what you're talking about. :wub:
That was my theory for explaining the other two :lol:

I :wub: my Macs.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope, not phished. I play too much WoW to know how to not get phished. My hotmail account is on auto sign in, but it isnt just my hot mail account. It was my facebook too and a forum i sold WoW stuff on. So its probably WoW related. Probably an addon.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
OS X 10.6 is roughly as secure as Windows 7 64-bit, however it does not (nor does Linux) completely implement ASLR or the NX bit as Windows 7 does. However, because A. Windows has a huge fucking target on it it's back, and B. ASLR on Windows 7 64-bit has already been defeated, I'd still rather run OS X.

Additionally, I would argue OS X is still more secure, because it doesn't require you to run as an admin, even if the initial user is configured as such. Windows 7, on the other hand, still often requires the user to run as an admin in order to run properly. Which is bullshit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts