Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I've just got myself a gorgeous American Special Strat that is lovely and perfect in every way imaginable except one... fret buzz!
I'm not very experienced at set-ups, but even I can tell that the action on it out the box was waaay too low. I fixed that, but it still buzzed. Fixed the truss-rod, but still it buzzes.

I've tried everything I can think of and still it buzzes. Do you think I should send it back for a replacement? or get a professional to take a look at it?

It wasn't set up by Andertons (from whom I purchased it), so is it likely an issue with wood warpage due to moisture discrepancy between sunny California and the rainy Welsh Marches?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
That is a tough one without seeing it. Professional might not be a bad idea. Has the guitar had time to acclimate after shipping? How is level is the fretwork? Is the neck straight? How is the neck angle? Is anything loose? Have you changed the strings?

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only been here for 3 days (it arrived very late on the first day), so hasn't had long to acclimatise. The strings are original and apart from the buzzing everything else looks very good (frets seem level, the truss-rod was a little out but I've fixed that, intonation was spot on).

I suspect it may still my acclimatising as I managed to fix most of the buzz and then left it while I ad lunch, when I came back it seemed to be as bad as it was before. How long is it good to leave 'em for before they're settled in?

Cheers,

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
Until it stops moving around, sometimes it can take a while. If it were me i'd set it up with new strings and let it chill out in a hanger or stand, check it every few days, and adjust as necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts