Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without further ado, i present to you the Beginnings of my new 4x12 cabinet design. Here you shall the see entire step by step process of this build, from simple sheets of plywood to fully functional Front AND Rear Loadable 4x12 guitar speaker cab.

Before i post the first pic, I'd like to once again go over the specs of this 4x12 so all will know how this cab will stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Measurements: 30in H x 29in W x 15in D

Casters, Rubber feet, all steel handles

Rhino Lining (Tour Guard, comes in different colours for more custom options)

Mono (stereo switch and option will come with future models if i know demand is there)

Stereo Separator inside cabinet, will be the height and depth of the inside of the cab, making it also more rigid, which translates to tighter bass response

Removable back cover and removable perforated steel front grill, making for the big idea of this cabinet...

Front AND Rear loadable, mount your speakers in either front or rear loaded configuration, or any combination thereof (i.e. X patterned speakers with one set front and the other rear loaded, stereo left rear loaded, stereo right front loaded or vice versa, top front loaded and bottom rear loaded or vice versa) many crazy options for configuring the speaker orientation. your imagination is the limit.

these cabinets will come with everything a 4x12 has, but for now i will only offer these unloaded, as buying the speakers for you retail and installing them will cost you more money. As time goes on and i see more demand for these speaker cabs, i will indeed gun for a speaker endorsement to offer you speakers at a more reasonable price. this also allows you to just direct install any speakers you have or want in them without having to remove or sell the ones already in the cab, and a sale of those speakers would come at a loss anyhow.

so without further ado

STEP 1

UPDATE: PARTS

i went to the supplier for these parts, was a little pissed when i found out they don't do pre-made jack plates, and the recessed plates they do have are zinc coated (silver colour) with no holes

regardless this is what i have so far for parts

4 rubber feet 1-1/2" dia x 3/4" high with steel insert for extra fixing strength, and 2 Steel handles textured black

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Again, I don't really see what you hope to gain with allowing front and rear-loading because it removes the primary benefit of front-loading a cab (rigidity on the rear panel, less bracing required for stiffness and thus lighter weight.)

The internal construction means it should sound more like 2 2x12s rather than a 4x12 (which can be good or bad depending on your goals) and will likely be a bit heavier than usual. It's also how the Ampeg 8x10s are built (except with four 2x10 enclosures stacked, essentially.)

Nevertheless, I look forward to seeing and hearing results. I hope you prove me wrong. :yesway:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Again, I don't really see what you hope to gain with allowing front and rear-loading because it removes the primary benefit of front-loading a cab (rigidity on the rear panel, less bracing required for stiffness and thus lighter weight.)

The internal construction means it should sound more like 2 2x12s rather than a 4x12 (which can be good or bad depending on your goals) and will likely be a bit heavier than usual. It's also how the Ampeg 8x10s are built (except with four 2x10 enclosures stacked, essentially.)

Nevertheless, I look forward to seeing and hearing results. I hope you prove me wrong. :yesway:
the divider in the middle makes up for most of the loss of rigidity in the cabinet from removing a solid back, and the front baffle though resting against a divider would not become an actual double 2x12, as the baffle itself is not divided or acoustically separated.

and again wait until the prototype is completed, tested and reviewed by some of the selected testers before passing judgment on it

·
18,790 Posts
the divider in the middle makes up for most of the loss of rigidity in the cabinet from removing a solid back, and the front baffle though resting against a divider would not become an actual double 2x12, as the baffle itself is not divided or acoustically separated.

and again wait until the prototype is completed, tested and reviewed by some of selected testers before passing judgment on it
I'd also like to point out: wait until the prototype is completed, tested and reviewed before making claims about what it will do as if they're factual conclusions ;)

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The same goes for the naysayers. It's a prototype, and the purpose is to test out ideas to see if they'll work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh, I agree, my point was that while people are being a little cynical, it might be partially a reaction to his overconfident "this will be better than everything" attitude.
there is absolutely NO "this will be better than everything" attitude

this is merely myself trying something new that i haven't seen other cab companies make, and seeing if it works and can have a market value, therefore the possibility of providing guitar players with hopefully something new and making a business out of this for myself

i'm just confident that this will indeed bring more tonal options for those that like front and/or rear loaded sounds and let you work with different speaker configurations to achieve different tones

and again, WAIT FOR THE PROTOTYPE, as it will either prove or deny my idea

·
18,790 Posts
there is absolutely NO "this will be better than everything" attitude
Before i post the first pic, I'd like to once again go over the specs of this 4x12 so all will know how this cab will stand head and shoulders above the rest.
That said, I totally understand man, I'm just trying to point out that you could have made your intent clearer in your original post as it came off a little overconfident, rather than being excited about a new idea and seeing how it turns out. I think it's a cool idea, though I can see other peoples points about what may or may not work, and I'm interested in seeing it completed.

Overall, I think the tone of the thread got off on the wrong foot, and hopefully from here on out it can be cool discussion about the design and progress :yesway:

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I approve of new ideas (as f.e. front- and rearloaded) - but i really would be interested in why to design it that way? usually, from what i know and from what builders also told me, the Front/Rear-loaded thing is not just about the Speakers beeing either front- or rearloaded, but mostly these cabs have a complete different structure, which seems to be much more responsible for the difference in tone as the speakers sitting in the front or beeing mounted from the back...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I approve of new ideas (as f.e. front- and rearloaded) - but i really would be interested in why to design it that way? usually, from what i know and from what builders also told me, the Front/Rear-loaded thing is not just about the Speakers beeing either front- or rearloaded, but mostly these cabs have a complete different structure, which seems to be much more responsible for the difference in tone as the speakers sitting in the front or beeing mounted from the back...
and that is what shall be put to the test here. i've already conferred with and continue to confer with a friend of mine who designs speakers systems, and he's quite certain it will achieve the desired effect of different tonal qualities.

if this does end up not being tonally different in anyway that is noticeable, well then i guess i have me a 4x12 i built for myself, which i'd rather do than go buy uber expensive ones anyway

also if the all in one cab idea flops, well i can always make either a Front OR rear loaded cab, for no difference in price

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
That said, I totally understand man, I'm just trying to point out that you could have made your intent clearer in your original post as it came off a little overconfident, rather than being excited about a new idea and seeing how it turns out. I think it's a cool idea, though I can see other peoples points about what may or may not work, and I'm interested in seeing it completed.

Overall, I think the tone of the thread got off on the wrong foot, and hopefully from here on out it can be cool discussion about the design and progress :yesway:
I guess I just read it differently, because all I see is someone excited about the impending outcome of a new idea. It's not like anyone is going to move forward with an idea that is expected to not deliver. "Oh, man, this cab is going to be totally mediocre! I cannot wait to see how many cabs are better than it!" Just cut him a little slack, bro. :yesway:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts