Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, bought and tried so many Kemper profiles I have been thinking about selling it... But that's not going to happen now I'm pretty sure of!

I've come to realize that the types of tones I'm after are pretty "unique", and I will NEVER find a Kemper profile that sounds the way I want. And getting all the gear these guys used int he 80s/90s will be fucking expensive, and probably impossible due to lack of exact documentation of gear used. Most profile makers make great profiles, but often voiced for modern rock/metal and I'm really not after that stuff.

For me it's the late 80s to mid 90s german speed metal sound of bands like Running Wild, Grave Digger, Paragon etc etc. Which is generally very mid-treble focus, and good luck finding that in any Kemper profiles nowadays :D

So when I was looking for a good mastering plug, I found Izotope Ozone 7. And that plug comes with a EQ matching function as well, so I thought... Hmmm!!

I chose the good ol factory stock TAF Van \m/ Halen profile, which has been my go-to profile since day 1 I got the Kemper.

Some of the best metal tones I know is Grave Diggers guitar tone on their album Heart Of Darkness from 1995. Grave Digger and Running Wild was a couple of those bands that never left the sound of the 80s, but it still has a more refined 90s production.

So I applied the EQ match on the Kemper recording and what happened....

https://soundcloud.com/tudio2-akt/kemper-plus-izotope-eq-matching

SUMMARY: I like Positive Grid Bias Amp, I have it for a few applications, but Kemper is simply a better sounding unit in it's core; and with EQ matching I can finally get exactly where I want.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I can't tell too much difference, really... :)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Well that's good! That means you can get back to recording sweet albums!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Rockas Ozone 7 hate post incoming in 3... 2... 1...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Does Ozone actually tell you what it's doing? For example, can I "scan" a WAV, and have it tell me where I need to EQ something else?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It shows you the matching curve, so in a way, it does. You can smooth it out, so you could probably replicate it somewhat with a different EQ.
Yeah, like analyze a Mark V in Crunch recording, then set a hardware modeler that doesn't do EQ/tone matching to the closest model, then assign a parametric EQ to tweak in as close to the recording as possible. That'd be cool. I like BIAS a lot, but there's an immediacy that's lost, that really fucks up the feel, IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I used that same method to change all the guitars I'd recorded on a VAmp Pro in 2007 to the sound from my AxeFX Ultra I used for our last album in 2015. Worked pretty well. Think I posted about it on here too! :)

Edit: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/music-recording-studio/72449-ozone-rescue.html
Well, I can see that working fairly well! If the original tone is not too mushy as could be common with old modelers then I dont see how this could "do wonders" to non-DI tracked guitars.

I have tried EQ match following with Izotope:

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Iron Maiden - Brave New World (Adrians middle guitar from Wicker Man intro)
The Ramones - Rocket To Russia
Grave Digger - Heart Of Darkness (as heard in OP)
Running Wild - Black Hand Inn
Hammerfall - Legacy Of Kings

And they are ALL more or less complete success.
Ozones EQ matching is WAY better than Bias Amps Tone Match function, to the point where I wouldn't care about it anymore.
Bias Amp is a pretty good plugin, so I will probably use it, but the EQ matching of Ozone is just ahead.

I will probably make a video later with "original vs Ozone EQ match" with several matches. :)

This is fun as hell for some reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts