Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
What? I don't believe that. For one, it has a moving part. In order to move a part, energy must be wasted. It is thermodynamically impossible to have a perpetual "battery".

Also, if a current wasn't drawn on it, of course it will read the same potential as it did when if was first made. As long as the electrolyte is intact, even a regular 9V battery will read 9V years later if it hasn't been used.

This is a simple Nernst cell (or more specifically a Galvanic Cell), where you have two half cells separated by an electrolyte which generate a potential.

To me, nothing in this article is validated.

Leon?

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
What? I don't believe that. For one, it has a moving part. In order to move a part, energy must be wasted. It is thermodynamically impossible to have a perpetual "battery".

Also, if a current wasn't drawn on it, of course it will read the same potential as it did when if was first made. As long as the electrolyte is intact, even a regular 9V battery will read 9V years later if it hasn't been used.

This is a simple Nernst cell (or more specifically a Galvanic Cell), where you have two half cells separated by an electrolyte which generate a potential.

Leon?
hater :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The skeptic in me says that, in 1950, after even just 24 hours of continuous operation, other scientists would have been in the room studying it, replicating it, and this Karpen fella would have been one rich bastard.

I smell BS.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
The skeptic in me says that, in 1950, after even just 24 hours of continuous operation, other scientists would have been in the room studying it, replicating it, and this Karpen fella would have been one rich bastard.

I smell BS.
Also, the level of detail in which we understand electro-chemistry is fairly deep. We model everything including charge transfer and local potentials through all species in batteries and fuel cells. There is no way that a simple platinum electrode - acid electrolyte- gold electrode galvanic cell is going to defy scientist.

I think this article was probably written by somebody who likes to believe that scientists such as Leon and I aren't doing anything to look at better ways to generate and store electric energy.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Can you please send me Dr. Karpen's contact information so I can send my whole pile of cash to him as investment capital?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
It is thermodynamically impossible to have a perpetual "battery".
These.

It's a bunch of hokey. Did I ever tell you guys about the perpetual motion machine my grandfather made in the 30's? It's kept in an undisclosed location in Lithuania. Despite what they taught you in elementary school, the rotors are made of whale blubber and the motor from cadmium.

I'd love to show it to you guys but I can't afford a security system to prevent it's theft.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahahah man you guys aren't just skeptics, but hardcore ones! :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
hahahah man you guys aren't just skeptics, but hardcore ones! :lol:
I require evidence before I believe anything. Which is why I am not religious, why I don't believe in Atlantis and I don't think anyone knows where Carmen Sandiago is. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts