Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm not very happy with the sound quality of some demos I'm working on, so I decided to focus my attention on creating a new, decent-sounding template in Logic that I can use for future mixes. To test the template, I sequenced some drums and bass, recorded some guitar tracks, then decided that doing a short instrumental song would make a fun weekend project.

Drums are Superior Drummer 2.0. For bass I used the "Session Bass" virtual instrument that comes with Logic. All guitars are tracked with my RGA121 going through a podXT and into Recabinet. There's a bit of EQ here and there, but I try to use it sparingly.

Overall, I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Comments, especially regarding the mix, are welcome.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm on like my 5th listen, actually. This is fuckin' awesome dude, I'd buy an album full this in an instant. Very well done - great tone, great phrasing, just wish the solo at the end was about 5 minutes longer. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Chris just sent me a PM to make sure I listened to this. :lol:

This IS cool as hell. Not much to say on the mix - on one hand, that tremolo bit is, obvectively, way too loud. On the other, it works, somehow. :lol:

The riff rules, too - only critique is I keep wanting to hear it kick in REALLY heavy, as sort of a Tool/Perfect Circle sort of thing. Otherwise, this is awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would you mind sharing the delay settings on that lead in the beginning?
I'm using a stereo delay plugin, and the settings are: 490ms delay left, 300ms right, with 35% feedback in both. I literally spent half a minute dialing that in, based on what I could vaguely recall from reading about Andy Timmons' delay settings - something about using a slightly shorter delay time on one side compared to the other. It sounded alright, so I didn't bother going back to tweak it. :lol:

Also, I use an auxiliary channel for the delay, with a lead track "send" volume at -10.0dB.

I'm on like my 5th listen, actually. This is fuckin' awesome dude, I'd buy an album full this in an instant. Very well done - great tone, great phrasing, just wish the solo at the end was about 5 minutes longer. :lol:
Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

This IS cool as hell. Not much to say on the mix - on one hand, that tremolo bit is, obvectively, way too loud. On the other, it works, somehow. :lol:
Thanks. I found I needed to turn it up a notch to make it work, but I may have overdone it slightly. I'm thinking that part would have been cool with some distorted bass, too.

The intro riff was kind of long but it just got better and better and then you stopped :squint:
I run out of ideas. :( :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Thanks. I found I needed to turn it up a notch to make it work, but I may have overdone it slightly. I'm thinking that part would have been cool with some distorted bass, too.
I'm obviously no pro, but my impression listening, more or less, was "ballsy as hell production move... but it's fucking cool! :D" Very unconventional, but it fits the piece.

I almost always use stereo delays that are multiples of each other - say, 300ms on one side, 600 on the other. I'll have to try that on my next mix, I've honestly never thought to try to get the repeats on different patterns, and it adds kind of a nice spaciousness to it. Great drum programming, by the way.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
All sorts of awesome right here. :yesway: Drew's going to love this.
This is fuckin' awesome dude, I'd buy an album full this in an instant. Very well done - great tone, great phrasing, just wish the solo at the end was about 5 minutes longer. :lol:

The riff rules, too - only critique is I keep wanting to hear it kick in REALLY heavy, as sort of a Tool/Perfect Circle sort of thing. Otherwise, this is awesome.
:agreed: it was awesome dude very tool with a satch vibe

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
This is a very cool jam. It made me want to go home and pick up my guitar right now.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:agreed: it was awesome dude very tool with a satch vibe
This is a very cool jam. It made me want to go home and pick up my guitar right now.
Thanks guys!

Okay, so I decided to upload some screenshots of the actual Logic session, as well as a few words of explanation to go along.

Here's a view of the song arrangement and drum groove. I like to keep things really simple.

Superior Drummer 2 has a built-in mixer, but I prefer using Logic's mixer so that all the individual tracks are in one place and so that I can Logic's own plugins for processing.

I rely on sub-mixing a lot, and I use different color shades to specify the "level" of the sub-mix. The darker the color, the lower the level. At the bottom we have the "Main" channel, in black, which represents the entire mix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts