Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like I might be joining a cover band on the side for fun, and to play out again. Needed a decent bass amp, so I donned my Camouflage tuxedo, and went up to GC in Birmingham, and tried out some bass amps.

One of the things that really caught my attention was the Acoustic brand combo amps, specifically the B100. 249$ new, but god damn it sounded awesome.

AB'ed it against the Ampeg B50, B115, the cheapest MarkBass combo (the 400 Watt one), some used Trace Elliott gear, etc. Sounds punchy as hell, and it was surprisingly loud. It crushed the 80 watt Trace Elliott combo and the Ampeg B50 with ease, just in terms of volume. The only downside is there's no line out for the mixer.

Gonna go pick it up next paycheck. :yesway: Just gotta grab that and a DI+Splitter box, and i'll be fucking golden.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Atrace has one of these, and it's really a great sounding amp - it sounds a lot more expensive than the price would indicate too. :yesway:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I've played some of the acoustics and they sound good, but the brands reputation/look is about the least "metal" thing ever :lol:

But thats how it is with bass amps, a good bass amp is a good bass amp period, you don't really have all the genre based division that exists in the guitar amp market.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it doesn't look metal or anything. But the sound is great, its full, round and punchy. It would work good in any band I could see myself in.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I've played some of the acoustics and they sound good, but the brands reputation/look is about the least "metal" thing ever :lol:

But thats how it is with bass amps, a good bass amp is a good bass amp period, you don't really have all the genre based division that exists in the guitar amp market.
This is the story of Markbass' success :lol:

It's like a kid's "My First Bass Amp!"

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually really liked MarkBass's software amp sims. I just didn't really gel with the 400 Watt combo I tried at GC, and nothing else from them was in my pricerange.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The only bit of Markbass gear I've really got along with is the Compressore pedal, which is easily far and away the best pedal compressor I've ever used, and it smokes most of the rackmount ones I've tried too.

The Markbass CMD121P is pretty nice-sounding too, but seriously expensive and not quite loud enough for my needs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts