Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It should help with the slowdowns at night when the server backs up - especially Saturday nights around 1-2AM EST (since it does a full backup of everything, and then FTPs it to another server).

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think this may have had the opposite effect. The site used to be slow between 1 and 3am... now it's completely unresponsive.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure adding memory isn't the cause of it, but I'll have the host look into it.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yeah, something else has likely gone wonky. But the site is barely accessible during that time now... requests just time out.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For three straight hours? :scratch:

When the DB/site backs up, it soaks 100% of the resources in order to get it done quicker. That's a lot of data, so a ~10 minute window is pretty reasonable. It's possible that the VPS my host is on is doing something, but again, that's why I have to ask the hosting provider.

Post at 1:45 AM:
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...74-ibanez-2011-sneak-peeks-15.html#post343536

3:46AM:
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/off-topic/29097-nic-cage-losing-his-shit-3.html#post342008

3:59AM:
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/off-topic/29269-united-states-shame-3.html#post343551

1:27AM:
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/off-topic/29294-i-mean-i-knew-washington-badass.html#post343529

So there are posts in that timeframe. Again, I will look at it, but please don't, um, embellish the problem. The site is not "completely unresponsive" after 1AM because people are posting. I understand that it's slow, I get it, but I can't troubleshoot the root issue if people are throwing out random shit at me. :lol:

There are also a LOT of other vB scripts that run during that time period. I can't please everyone with the time that they run at, but things like tags, DB cleanup, updating counts, generating sitemaps, etc, etc have to run sometime. I can push them up an hour or so to see if that helps, but the thing is that they have to run overnight at some point.

Basically I'm not spending another $50/mo for more resources so that the like nine people on at 2 in the morning don't have a page timeout here and there. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Well, it definitely seems to be at least an hour. The other night was trying to get new posts between 2 and 3am and it was just stalling.

"Completely unresponsive" may be a slight overstatement, but not by much. Pages may (or may not) eventually load. I left a window loading in the background and when i closed a foreground window, it had loaded. But sometimes it sits there for minutes at a time trying to download a page.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
well I don't sit around and check it till it comes back on. Its just right after 11p(1a server time) it is non responsive and I have had it not respond as late as midnight(2a sever time) but I'm not up much after that so I cant comment on the entire time frame Darren said.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it definitely seems to be at least an hour. The other night was trying to get new posts between 2 and 3am and it was just stalling.

"Completely unresponsive" may be a slight overstatement, but not by much. Pages may (or may not) eventually load. I left a window loading in the background and when i closed a foreground window, it had loaded. But sometimes it sits there for minutes at a time trying to download a page.
I'll take a look. Big site, lots of scripts, big backup. It's going to have to be slow sometime. Just head to ss.org! :idea:

:lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

GO TO SLEEP

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't mean to sound like El Dicko there, btw. I'm just jaded on this topic from years of Stitch visting omg_gambling_pronz_free_software_hot_pix.com and then hitting SS and telling me that my site was fucked up and not his browser. :lol:

Clear all of your caches. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mjolnir: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.21992/22.453; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

zepp said:
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

GO TO SLEEP
:agreed:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright, I shifted some daily scripts up to around 1AM Pacific. Let me know how things go tonight if you're on.

The site backup will still run at midnight EST, but it finishes in about 10-15min depending, so things will still slow down a tad around that time. Some other things were running at the same time, so this should help.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts