Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Just realized I have a big gap on my board that I can sneak a tuner onto, and I’ve always wanted one of these! I’ve been using a clip-on Polytune which is fine, but is kinda lame when I’ve got a full board.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's with you and tuners? The 5 you already have not enough? :lol:
I have 4, plus a Stroborack. :lol: Each one of my amps has it's own complete signal path, so my pedalboard just has 4 tuners on it.

1. Fractal
2. Kemper
3. Mark V
4. Triaxis / 5150 (via the Radial switcher)

That way when I want to use whichever rig, I just plug into the corresponding tuner and go. It serves a few purposes - one that it's super convenient, two that it's a push button mute on the floor (in case the wife needs something, phone rings, etc) and lastly if either I or one of my kids accidentally yanks a cable out, it breaks the jack in a $100 tuner and not a $2000 preamp. :yesway:

The Stroborack is in my desk. I send the main output from Reaper to it so if I'm recording (sitting down across the room) I don't have to look at pedals at all to make sure I'm in tune, and my best tuner always gets whatever signal I'm working with at the time. So no matter what I'm plugged into I can always stop and check tune when I'm busy recording all zero of the songs I release.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mean, I get it, but why not 1 tuner and a cheap patch bay?

Like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MOD-4JPM--temple-audio-4-way-jack-patch-module

You could just plug the tuner then into whichever amp you want right at the patch bay. There's a Hosa one that has 8 ins/outs for only about $15 more as well:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...8-point-1-4-inch-trs-balanced-patchbay-module
Because then each rig wouldn't be usable all the time. I don't want to juggle cables, I just want to plug in and go. And for the odd occasion that I have friends over to jam/record once the damn pandemic ends, I want to be able to record everything separately at the same time.

It's super nice for recording, because I'll have a guitar plugged into the Axe-Fx and a bass connected to the Kemper, so when I'm farting around jumping back and forth I never have to disconnect/reconnect anything. I just put the guitar down and pick the bass up.

I really want each one to be it's own complete rig all the time. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I mean, it still would be. Instead of plugging into one of 4 tuners, you'd plug the tuner into one of the inputs for the amps in the patch bay. Saves the need for 4 tuners and it's literally the same thing, just instead of plugging a guitar into 1 of 4 tuners, leave the guitar plugged into the tuner and plug the tuner into one of four jacks going to the different amps.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean, it still would be. Instead of plugging into one of 4 tuners, you'd plug the tuner into one of the inputs for the amps in the patch bay. Saves the need for 4 tuners and it's literally the same thing, just instead of plugging a guitar into 1 of 4 tuners, leave the guitar plugged into the tuner and plug the tuner into one of four jacks going to the different amps.
Except then if I'm using the Mark and the Triaxis at the same time, I'd only have one tuner dude. I don't want a patch bay, I want 4 complete guitar rigs and that's what I have. I don't want them to share anything.

If you're here and I'm here and we're rockin' out covering Division's Greatest Hit, you'll need a tuner and I'll need a tuner. And voila! Tuners we shall have!

:billted:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Ordered. Pretty damn cheap. I mean, it’s no Boss TU-3, but it’ll do. :lol:

Just kidding, the TU-3 is awful. Looking forward to sticking this on my new board.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.