Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The G string on my Floyd Rose keeps going flat; at first I thought it was the string, so I merely replaced it. However; the problem persisted, I then thought the poorly made locking nut system might be the culprit as one of the nuts was always crocked...so I thought I might as well replace the whole thing.

Brought a well made yet affordable locking nut but; again, no change. :pissed:

The odd thing is though; when I get the string in tune, the minute I press on one of the frets...it goes flat! But when I take my finger off and play the string open; its back in tune. I've also noticed if I tune the string slightly flat and press on a fret; it has the opposite effect, when I play the string open its flat but play a chord or note and its perfectly in tune. :nuts:

I'm completely stumped with this one; can anyone give me some insight to what I'm doing wrong? :confused:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Well known fact, but the g string is the most finicky of all.

It could be any number of factors really. Poor quality trem, bad intonation, bad setup, etc.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
yeah, sounds like the intonation more than the floyd itself. If you're flat, try screwing the adjuster towards the headstock a little bit. that should sharpen the pitch.

play around with the 12th fret harmonic vs 12th fret fingered vs open. They should all match pitch

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:2.1) Gecko/20110318 Firefox/4.0b13pre Fennec/4.0)

It really sound like an intonation problem. Now, if bending the string or using the bar makes the string return flat, then you have a problem with either the saddle spring or wear on the saddle. The good news is both parts are readily and easily replaceable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well; I've been messing around with the inotation for about 10 minutes now, 12th fret harmonic vs 12th fret fingered vs open and adjusting the saddle towards the headstock when the fretted 12 is flat. It still fucks up on the G string everytime. :/

Could it be because I'm taking all the tension off the string when I turn the saddle?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok; well after 20 minutes of intonation, the lower strings match pitch perfectly. They were a bit flat at first but responded to adjustment.

However; the higher strings are always sharp on fretted 12 note, I'd tried the B and E strings 3 times now and the adjustments make little to no difference and the G string I've tried about 5 times and it still doesn't respond.

Does this mean it could be a saddle problem?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Ok; well after 20 minutes of intonation, the lower strings match pitch perfectly. They were a bit flat at first but responded to adjustment.

However; the higher strings are always sharp on fretted 12 note, I'd tried the B and E strings 3 times now and the adjustments make little to no difference and the G string I've tried about 5 times and it still doesn't respond.

Does this mean it could be a saddle problem?
Unless you are doing this with newish strings that is a pointless endeavor. Changing intonation with old strings isn't a very good idea.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
100% it's intonation. The only thing that will cause an open string to be in tune, but fretted notes to be out of tune (flat OR sharp) is bad intonation. Especially if the note goes flat. I've seen stuff where it's just people pressing too hard on the string and sending the notes sharp, but if it's going flat it can't be anything other than bad intonation.

Re-intonate the whole guitar. If you don't know how, take it to a tech.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well; last night I spent about an hour watching a tutorial on Youtube on how to intonate on a FR and like I said, the 3 lower strings match pitch perfectly but the 3 higher ones don't...not even when I adjust the intonation lock screws.

Could the tutorial be wrong? :confused: Judge for yourselves:

If it is; I'll just give up and show it to a tech, how much would they charge for intonation though? I hope its not as extortionate as the prices they normally charge for work on a Floyd Rose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts