Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

I've been playing the gold top a lot, lately. One thing I've noticed is that the higher the gain on the amp / the louder I'm playing, the more my G-string (get that picture out of your head) seems to ring out and want to feed back. I can do a gentle vibrato on that string - after hammer-on, etc - and get that fucker from softly moaning screaming inside a few seconds.

If I'm just playing, I find that I have to mute that string to keep it from feeding back.

Am I just too loud or too close to the amp? Works on both pickups, bridge and neck, so I suspect that but I thought I would ask.

Signal path: guitar > tuner > amp. Pickups: Gibson Super '57 bridge and '57 Classic neck. Amp: Mesa Lone Star 2x12 at 50W on drive channel.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... I'm clueless, man. It's not unwelcome, entirely. There seems to be some interesting stuff I can do with it. It's just not ALWAYS welcome. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Hey guys -

I've been playing the gold top a lot, lately. One thing I've noticed is that the higher the gain on the amp / the louder I'm playing, the more my G-string (get that picture out of your head) seems to ring out and want to feed back. I can do a gentle vibrato on that string - after hammer-on, etc - and get that fucker from softly moaning screaming inside a few seconds.

If I'm just playing, I find that I have to mute that string to keep it from feeding back.

Am I just too loud or too close to the amp? Works on both pickups, bridge and neck, so I suspect that but I thought I would ask.

Signal path: guitar > tuner > amp. Pickups: Gibson Super '57 bridge and '57 Classic neck. Amp: Mesa Lone Star 2x12 at 50W on drive channel.
Hmmm, unless I missed what guitar it is (couldn't find in the thread) I suppose it's a Les Paul or someting because you say it's Gibson pickups.

That rules out floyd spring noise. If a spring is "tuned" to the same pitch as a string, it can ring out quite a bit.

Are you dampening strings beyond the nut? <---- try it, but may not work...

Something wrong with the saddle? <--- even tho I cannot see how this would make it feedback but you could alsways check...

Could something like a Fat Finger fix this, i.e. adding mass to change the resonance frequency?
You can sort of try this for free by putting headstock towards a wall or a table (hold it hard against)

I had Fender HM Strat which had a completely dead note at G-string 14th fret (IIRC), and when putting against a well, I moved that dead note up a couple of notes.
I suppose a Fat Finger could do the same.

But try against a table or wall first!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I'd agree with the resonant frequency suggestion.

Time to learn how to mute it :lol:

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'd agree with the resonant frequency suggestion.

Time to learn how to mute it :lol:
Yeah - well, and that's what I'm doing, with both both hands alternately, depending upon the circumstances. :lol:

Hmmm, unless I missed what guitar it is (couldn't find in the thread) I suppose it's a Les Paul or someting because you say it's Gibson pickups.
You are correct, sir - Gibson Les Paul Traditional.

Are you dampening strings beyond the nut? <---- try it, but may not work...
No - I'm actually trying to avoid that. Learning to mute, as Budda suggested.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Is it ringing out behind the nut a lot? My Tele had that - I was getting so much sympathetic vibration behind the nut that it was coming through the amp. It was about as loud as the actual notes sometimes.

I added a second string tree and that solved it.

Is it a Les Paul? If so, make sure the nut is cut properly. They're really finicky about nuts, especially for the G and D.

Edit: Missed the part where you say you've been playing the gold top a lot. Was trying to bang that post out quickly before a meeting. :lol:

If it's a new LP, it will almost definitely need some nut work. I worked in a guitar shop and most Gibsons need more angle filed to the back side of the nut to accommodate for the side-to-side break angle of the D and G strings.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
You cannot "learn to mute" ringing strings beyond the nut ;)
Unless you really talking about putting your fingers on the strings all the time...

You really need foam/tape/jimmy clip/whatever you can find to mute the strings, to really mute them. No other way around it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had real problems with the plain G on a heavy gauge set recently. Made a video about it

TL DR - I vastly prefer the sound of a wound G-String over the plain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts