Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled this out of storage and tried it in jam situation last night.

After about 10 minutes, I wanted to put it back in storage...like 4evar. :lol:

These pickups gotta go. Noisy, somewhat microphonic, ice picky highs with the bridge pickup. Man it's like a JB/59' set..but with all the bad qualities emphasized.

Looking for tight lows, growly mids, and no ice-picky highs I'm also thinking that maybe the gold pickup covers could go?

Start throwing out suggestions, nao. Or the LPC gets the Zakk Wylde EMG set. :squint:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Find a way to remove all the filler and glue that makes up that body.

How come you have so many really, really nice guitars and then you have this? :(

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Dude. Dimarzio norton and a fred

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Find a way to remove all the filler and glue that makes up that body.
:lol:

How come you have so many really, really nice guitars and then you have this? :(
A Mom & Pop store was blowing out inventory because of the Gibson dickheads were telling them they couldn't carry the line unless they sold 25059380 gtrs a year. The only real reason why I got it is because it's a custom shop build. But it's build quality really isnt anything to write home about IMHO.

Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Dude. Dimarzio norton and a fred
:lol: You suggested them on an alder ibby. And now you're telling me they're going to work on a LPC? WTH????

Its been suggested that a Suhr Aldridge set would be ideal. So that's a contender. But there's got to be something else out there.

BTW. Other gtr player in the jam session showed up with a Heritage H-150 loaded with Seth Lover's. Completely decimated this POS :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Aldrich bridge, Alnico II Pro neck. :agreed:

Also, Alnico II Pro in bridge and neck are great for more vintagey Paul tone.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Overpriced piece of shit" was referring to the Gibson.
You forgot "overweight" too. Gtrs should NOT weigh in at more than 10lbs. :nono:

I'm thinking maybe Alnico II's or maybe 59's? Just not really needing anything more than mid-output pickups these days.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
those pickups sound great in a les paul IMO, go easy on the treble and bass :yesway:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

F1Filter said:
"Overpriced piece of shit" was referring to the Gibson.
You forgot "overweight" too. Gtrs should NOT weigh in at more than 10lbs. :nono:

I'm thinking maybe Alnico II's or maybe 59's? Just not really needing anything more than mid-output pickups these days.
George lynch's original Bengal weighs 13.95 pounds lol

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thing that bothers me are not the pickups... but the knobs.

Get "gold" knobs and change them right away !

:metal:
AFAIK, Randy's is just a basic stock early 70's LPC? So putting on gold speed-knobs and position indicators isn't that big of a deal. But if I'm going to do that, I might as well get covered pickups again in keeping with the whole Randy thing.

No idea what pickups Gibby was using in their LPC's back then. Anyone know? I'm assuming they were using Alnico II's in both positions? :scratch:

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
i love the 498T/ 490R :lol:.

i must have tried out at least 10 different neck and bridge pickups in my LPC, and every time, i always came back to the stock Gibson pickups :nuts: :lol:.

that being said, i did really like the Duncan Distortion in the bridge of an LPC

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
No idea what pickups Gibby was using in their LPC's back then. Anyone know? I'm assuming they were using Alnico II's in both positions? :scratch:
According to this, Gibson started using Alnico 5 magnets by 1961: Vintage Gibson Humbucker Specs and General Pickup Tech Musical Illuminism

1967 - 1980 ("T-top"): "T" on bobbin top, Chrome cover, Alnico 5, polyurethane wire, automated winding begins '65 - '68, some '69 - '73 pickup covers embossed "Gibson", "patent no." sticker on baseplate '67 - '74, (patent number metal-stamped beginning 1974), ink stamp with date '77 - '80, ohms average 7.5k - consistently reading between 7.3k - 8.0k.
My take-away from this article is that Gibson hadn't started developing a dozen different pickups with which to litter its lineup by that period in time.

As far as SD offerings, the Anico II Pro Slash pickups are supposed to be very nice. Humbucker - Alnico II Pro Slash APH-2 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Those, or a '59 would land the pickups in the same ballpark as the stated LPC 1974 pickups in the above article (7.3k-8.0k).

FWIW, a JB/Jazz set are in the Mike Shannon-signed RR Limited Run: Jackson Custom Randy Rhoads Limited Run Mike Shannon-Signed Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts