Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I got it. It's a fucking hoot to play with, easily the best audio app on the iPad. This should serve as a wake-up call to all the other applications out there. The amp models sound great, the piano, bass, drums, and synths all sound good, and the recording and editing is simple and intuitive.
On the Apple boards, someone's already connected a Roland kit and a MIDI controller to it via the camera connection kit, and it does indeed work. Pretty amazing, especially for $5.

I highly recommend it.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
What i find really odd is there are a few solutions for getting better quality input through the dock connector, but few - if any - seem to also include better quality line-level (XLR?) output via the dock connector.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What i find really odd is there are a few solutions for getting better quality input through the dock connector, but few - if any - seem to also include better quality line-level (XLR?) output via the dock connector.
I think the io Dock's 1/4" outputs are TRS at least, but they're not XLR. I agree though.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been playing with GB for a couple hours. This app should serve as a wake-up call to all the people selling amp modeling and multitrack recorders on the App Store. For $5, it blows them all away in terms of tone, ease of use, and features.

EDIT

With the Korg Nanopad:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question for jeff.

So going they the camera adapter you can use usb? So could I plug on my line6 toneport and use pod farm? Or use the toneport for garageband?
No, it's not that universal. First, there's no POD Farm on the iPad. Second, not all audio interfaces work. Somewhere there's a link (I'll see if I can find it in my bookmarks) that list all the audio interfaces and MIDI interfaces that work with the iPad through the camera connector kit. Honestly, I actually prefer the majority of the GB guitar models in GB for iOS. I used it with my iRig, and the tones were quite good. Especially the Vox, which I seem to have really gravitated to over the last year. The Vox model in GB for iOS is most definitely better than the POD Farm model of the same.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've found tapping out the drums on the touch screen to be a bit hit and miss, it's hard at times to get consistant hits. I've got a nanopad, is it easier using that?
The Nanopad is easier, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to map the pads, if that's even possible. Otherwise the sensitivity is fantastic.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
The Nanopad is easier, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to map the pads, if that's even possible. Otherwise the sensitivity is fantastic.
Thx, ordering the camera kit as we speak!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx, ordering the camera kit as we speak!
Apparently it also works with the Cakewalk UM1G, which means I'll be able to connect my guitar synth to the iPad and control software synths on the iPad, which will be cool. With the Apogee Jam and the UM1G + CCK, I'll be able to:

1. record acoustic and bass tracks into GB from the VG component of the GR-55 synth
  2. record softsynths using the MIDI output to UM1G
  3. record the PCM synth sounds from the GR-55 using the JAM
  4. record electric guitar sounds using the VG modeling, into the amp modeling of GB.

Why would I want to do all that? Because I can, and because I can carry just the iPad and the GR-55, not a laptop. They updated the GB for OS X to accept GB for iOS files yesterday, so I can work on a track at work/plane/train (obviously not with the GR55 on the last two) on the iPad, then bring it home, stick it on the Mac, and keep going.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Wow, that's pretty amasing. I haven't really explored all the posibilities with this app. But it's great for sketching out stuff before firing up cubase.
Think I've got some reading to do...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, that's pretty amasing. I haven't really explored all the posibilities with this app. But it's great for sketching out stuff before firing up cubase.
Think I've got some reading to do...
I kinda want to do one whole song on the iPad, just to see if I can do it. I've always liked working with quirky limitations or different formats, and the iPad is one of them. It's not as full featured obviously, but the touch interface brings a new element to recording. That and the amp modeling is surprisingly good after some tweaking. With that and Amplitube iRig, I've not touched my Pocket POD, and in fact when I did finally plug into it, I think something's wrong. Because it doesn't do shit. Oh well! Don't need it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts