Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you read this? Is it worth it to buy the rest of the books?

Just finished reading it (in english because I couldn't find a translated version) and thought I'd recommend it to the fantasy fans on this here site.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Me, Chris, and Bob are pretty big fans of the series. All three of us have read all 9 of the novels out so far. Just waiting on the final novel to come out (coming out in early 2011).

That said, Gardens of the Moon is either my least favorite or second least favorite in the series. Kinda interesting that the second novel in the series, Deadhouse Gates, is either my favorite or second favorite in the series.

If you liked Gardens of the Moon, I would very very much encourage you to buy Deadhouse Gates and then decide from there whether you want to keep reading more novels.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really liked the first book, although I had to look up a couple of words(got to admit that much).
I'll definitely get Deadhouse Gates, have to continue reading it in english, switching to norwegian now is kinda useless since the translators in Norway even translates names, so I'd be lost.:)
And I love reading books in the original language, I'm trying to learn russian so I can read War and peace and Anna Karenina, but it's a damn hard language to learn.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've read all 9 on of the main novels, plus ROTCG and all of the novellas. If you liked GOTM, you're going to love the rest of them because it's generally considered the weakest book in the series. Book 2 turns the awesome knob up to about 15, and it pretty much stays there for the rest of the series.

Giant Malazan thread:
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...e-series-way-too-many-spoilers-out-there.html

Naren said:
Kinda interesting that the second novel in the series, Deadhouse Gates, is either my favorite or second favorite in the series.
That's the same for most people, myself included. I did like it, it's just that the series gets a fuckload better as it goes on. DG/Bonehunters are my top two, DG for the Chain of Dogs, and TBH because it's like 700 pages of Kalam kicking ass.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Kalam is awesome. :agreed:

Another book in my top 3 favorites would be House of Chains just because it has the most Karsa Orlong out of all the books and it has the most interesting and most well constructed of all the stories about him in it. Plus the rest of the novel is pretty kickass too.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Toblakai Trilogy is coming too. :metal: Karsa is one of the most badass characters ever written, imo.

Did you read ROTCG, Naren? It's full of awesome backstory/plot around Dassem Ulthor. Awesome fucking book.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Nah, I haven't read any of Esslemont's novels. So they're pretty sweet, then?
Oh man. Yes, yes they are. The short novellas are entertaining page-turners. ROTCG is basically my third favorite "full" Malazan novel. TONS of backstory, and the final ~800 pages are basically nothing but combat and pure awesome. It's all about the CG (obviously), Dassem Ulthor, the Seguleh and the history of the empire, Kellanved, Surly's rise to power, the Claw, etc.

It really, really, really kicks ass.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm, the :drool: emote seems to be fitting. Amazon here I come..

Edit: Just ordered the next 4 books. This better not be disappointing:squint:

Yes Chris, I'm looking at you!:wub: I know where you li... no, I don't!

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Hm, it was kinda hard finding the Malazan books in Tokyo, but I found them in the foreign sections of about three of the biggest book stores scattered around the city. I have a feeling Esslemont's books will be even harder to find.

Edit: Just ordered the next 4 books. This better not be disappointing:squint:
I don't see how it could be disappointing if you really liked the first novel. That's, as me and Chris said, usually most people's least favorite in the series.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I think I'll be the dissenter here... I didn't really get into the first book in the series that much, but everyone here assures me the second book is much better, so I'm gonna withhold judgement till i read that one.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got the next 4 books today, already about 200 pages into deadhouse gate and it's damn hard to stop reading.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Me, Chris, and Bob are pretty big fans of the series. All three of us have read all 9 of the novels out so far. Just waiting on the final novel to come out (coming out in early 2011).

That said, Gardens of the Moon is either my least favorite or second least favorite in the series. Kinda interesting that the second novel in the series, Deadhouse Gates, is either my favorite or second favorite in the series.
:agreed: Yup. I actually started Gardens when I fist got it, read maybe a fifth through, and put it aside for months. Just couldn't get into it. Picked it back up, really liked it, then read Deadhouse Gates, and LOVED that.

It's a great series, Kim, and worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts