Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a new move I'm developing.

I just saw a guitar that I'm sure I can't live without. Then I look up from screen, turn 270 degrees counter-clockwise in my chair, and see I have too many guitars already.

Fever's going down now. Should be G2G any minute now. :yesway:

[action=Ken]warns that results may vary, and there's a 25% chance you'll miss additional gear in your room. :lol:[/action]

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
There is no cure for GAS. The 270 may be effective at treating short-term symptoms, but there is no cure for the underlying disease.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That only works if you've got your bases covered. Since my GAS is for an instrument type I do not currently own, it doesn't help.

Although it tells me I need to sell some things :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
There is no cure for GAS. The 270 may be effective at treating short-term symptoms, but there is no cure for the underlying disease.
My GAS was cured, or at least put into remission by getting the Axe FX. It's like TUMS for GAS :D

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
There is no cure for gas as it is like the common cold that never goes away. Guitar stores are like free whore houses. You go in, assess the situation, grab the best looking ones and play with them.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I'm not so sure... I've mostly cured my guitar gas, I can now safely flip through the Musicians' Friend catalog I get every so often and make it through the guitar section with only vague interest. Ditto with the amps. It's recording gear that's the problem now.

I honestly think GAS is caused by two related factors - not being able to identify what exactly you're looking for a guitar, and once identified not owning it. Once you know what you want and have it, then the lust drops pretty aggressively.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Doesn't work like that for me at all. I still want shit and I battle it everyday, regardless of the surplus of gear I have, all of which is stuff I want :lol:

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
If you truly have gas then there is nothing you can do to stop it except by the guitar and be disappointed with it.

·
Y R U Avoiding Me?
1,403 Posts
I was on my laptop in the kitchen when I read and tried this.

Thinking now I need to hang 3 new guitars horizontally across the soffits above the cabinets..

Thanks a lot:dick:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'm not so sure... I've mostly cured my guitar gas, I can now safely flip through the Musicians' Friend catalog I get every so often and make it through the guitar section with only vague interest. Ditto with the amps. It's recording gear that's the problem now.

I honestly think GAS is caused by two related factors - not being able to identify what exactly you're looking for a guitar, and once identified not owning it. Once you know what you want and have it, then the lust drops pretty aggressively.
This is exactly correct. The only time I get gas is when its something pops up for sale that is discontinued or unique. So its unfortunate for me that I like discontinued 90s jacksons and 80s ontarios, since those fall into both catergories :lol: If its something thats unique or rare I can justify buying it since I won't have an easy time finding it again.

I don't GAS for anything besides that. Why would I? Manufacturers are always making great products, and I have all the time in the world to try them out. Its not like not buying item X right now means I can't acquire it in the future. Sure I want stuff, but its not something I dwell on.

I've come to the conclusion that guitars and other gear is more about the journey than the destination. Great skills are hard to come by and take a lot of work to acquire, great guitar gear is everywhere, especially these days. Get stuff that works and never be afraid to move on, possesions are fleeting and are usually easily replacable.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I actually ammend my above statement that everything is easily replacable. Alot of us have a strong emotional attachment to our guitars(s). In the end I've had no problem selling every guitar I've ever owned and moving on. I'm really getting attached to my current ATs though :)shannon2:), so time will tell on those...

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Half of my guitars are in cases right now, so looking at my guitar rack actually makes me feel like I'm missing instruments and need more. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts