Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recieved an email from G66 today advising me that my axe fx II which i put my name down for just in case i decided to get one at the end of the year will be ready to ship in a week...

I had actually completley forgot that i put my name down for this but it does raise a bit of a dilema as i would really like one but i would have to shift my Mark V to get one.

I really dont know if i want to do this because i might not be a cork sniffer on tone but i reckon id see a difference between such a high quality amp and the axe fx II.

also id need to plow money into the axe fx to get a power amp and monitors etc.

If anyone in Europe is thinking of buying one feel free to let me know and i can potentially give you my place in the order list.....if i dont buy it.....oh dear

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mjolnir: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.21992/26.1036; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

Being a huge tube snob, and having played both a MkV and AF2... Feels weird to say, go for the AF2. The one I played was through a carvin solid state pwr amp and a Mesa 2x12, and was remarkable. You'll get as lifelike as you will ever find tube tone, plus effects, in a 2sp that will weigh less than the half the MkV :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
If you're happy with what you've got, stay with it. If you want to tone chase, then tone chase. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to be honest i like having a nice amp and im happy with what i have but the axe just seems a lot easier. that said it will become obsolete where as the mesa will always be relevant

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
to be honest i like having a nice amp and im happy with what i have but the axe just seems a lot easier. that said it will become obsolete where as the mesa will always be relevant
this is actually completely incorrect. the axefx standard still creates great tones. and will continue to create good tones even though the axe 2 is out. It has analogue outs, which means it will always be able to be put into an amp or power amp. So... yeah.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mjolnir: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.21992/26.1036; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

Kevin has a point*, just as the MkV didn't make the MkIV irrelevant.

*but as long as he wears a hat, no one will notice.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You're gonna lose money selling the Mark V, and then, like you said, you'll have to dump more money into it for a power amp and (assuming you have a combo) cab. Besides, it's not as if a Mark V is a one trick pony--you can get a billion and one sounds out of the thing.

At the end of the day, you have to decide what you're doing with it. I'd love to have an AxeFX, but I don't really do much in the way of home recording. I'd have to sell my amp to afford it, and I need my amp to gig, and if the amp wasn't my sound, I'd go with a different amp first. I think there is a lot of bandwagon hopping going on with these units. I don't mean to take anything away from Fractal, but how many people buy a $2500 amp without play testing one first? I bet the number is a lot smaller than people buying an AxeFX, since it is the current hot piece of gear.

Ask yourself if you're happy with your amp. If you are, then don't change. Mesas are expensive in your country, and the Mark V is new enough that they're fairly rare in the used market. If you live in America and owned a Dual Rec--an amp that you cannot swing a dead cat around the used market without hitting--then you would stand to lose a lot less if you didn't care for the Axe and wanted your Dual back.

Reactions: Nick

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
this is actually completely incorrect. the axefx standard still creates great tones. and will continue to create good tones even though the axe 2 is out. It has analogue outs, which means it will always be able to be put into an amp or power amp. So... yeah.
Kevin has a point*, just as the MkV didn't make the MkIV irrelevant.
This. Good tone is never irrelevant, even when something newer comes out, so use what you like. People are still recording with JCM800s.

·
Socially Awkward
328 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.1.25577/26.1036; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

I'm not very experienced with amps, so take this as you will:

I'd rather have the Axe-FX II and have a bunch of good amps AND effects at my disposal as opposed to the one tube amp. That's assuming the the Axe-FX II does a convincing job modelling.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Having shortly owned a Mark V (traded a friend for it last year) and then selling it to fund another amp I would much rather have my AXE FX II over it. But then again its personal preference.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not saying the unit wouldnt sound as good but digital stuff loses its resale value at a far higher rate than tube amps do. i could probably sell the mesa in 10 years time for a fair price but by that time the Axe FX super duper mega ultra V will be out beaming tones directly into your brain meaning that an axe fx II will be worth fuck all.

I think there is maybe an element of GAS here that i need to just get over. The Mark V is probably the best amp i could ever hope to own and sounds amazing. its also probably one of the most versatile about at the moment as well.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Modellers are cool, modellers that get really close are very cool.

However, a good tube amp you can get sounds out of, priceless really in my book. If I look at it, I only really need 3 sounds. A lead, a rhythm and a clean. I can use a distortion/overdrive pedal to flavour them. A 4 channel amp means i can do without an OD pedal, but it's still nice. Basically, a few dirt boxes a few pedal effects (delay, some reverb, maybe corus and a wah) is all i need and it covers pretty much anything i want to. Plus i can tweak them easily, no menus, quickr on stage.

Now, i used to be all rack, want loads of different sounds, but these days I am happy with one amp, i dial them all in to sound a particular way anyway.

Amps are generally easy to fix. No complex electronics to go down, if well built they can survive a knock.

If I had the cash spare I'd think about an axe fx, buit I would not sell my main amp to get one, as I need the amp, like the spontaniety of being able to tweak settings quickly, not have to deal with menus and just being able to rock up with a footswitch and be all good if the midi rig goes down that i use for FX and amp control.

Home recording wise I'd love an axe fx, but I can get my ideas down with a pod xt pro that does the job.

If you are happy with the amp, then keep it, there's just something perpetually magic about a good ap and a 4x12 just hitting that sweet spot.

Not to take anything away from fractal, but their stuff is the "gear du jour" and in a few months it'll be another must have that everyone wants. Me, I'd refer to play things I like and be a bit different and sound different.

Maybe it's because I'm old...

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Modellers are cool, modellers that get really close are very cool.

However, a good tube amp you can get sounds out of, priceless really in my book. If I look at it, I only really need 3 sounds. A lead, a rhythm and a clean. I can use a distortion/overdrive pedal to flavour them. A 4 channel amp means i can do without an OD pedal, but it's still nice. Basically, a few dirt boxes a few pedal effects (delay, some reverb, maybe corus and a wah) is all i need and it covers pretty much anything i want to. Plus i can tweak them easily, no menus, quickr on stage.

Now, i used to be all rack, want loads of different sounds, but these days I am happy with one amp, i dial them all in to sound a particular way anyway.

Amps are generally easy to fix. No complex electronics to go down, if well built they can survive a knock.

If I had the cash spare I'd think about an axe fx, buit I would not sell my main amp to get one, as I need the amp, like the spontaniety of being able to tweak settings quickly, not have to deal with menus and just being able to rock up with a footswitch and be all good if the midi rig goes down that i use for FX and amp control.

Home recording wise I'd love an axe fx, but I can get my ideas down with a pod xt pro that does the job.

If you are happy with the amp, then keep it, there's just something perpetually magic about a good ap and a 4x12 just hitting that sweet spot.

Not to take anything away from fractal, but their stuff is the "gear du jour" and in a few months it'll be another must have that everyone wants. Me, I'd refer to play things I like and be a bit different and sound different.

Maybe it's because I'm old...
:agreed:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:agreed:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i think what i need to do is wait till about 2pm tomorrow and turn my amp on and crank it.

doing that will probably remind me why i should never sell it.

i've not been in the practice studio for a while so that may be whats filling my head with this nonsense!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The AxeFX is really cool, and I'm sure the II is even better. That being said, it'd be a tough pill to swallow to sell a Mark V, especially given how much they cost over there, as well as the fact that you like the amp.

I could probably eek by an Axe II right now (seeing as how I just unloaded damn near my entire setup) but it would still mean selling my DC-5, and even though that's an entry level Mesa, I've developed somewhat of an attachment to it. So instead I'm going to pick up a HD500, used or new.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
If I had the money, I'd have made this a whole load easier and woulda offered to buy your Mark V, alas, I cannot, and vote you keep the MKV. There'll be a point soon enough when an AFX2 is easy to come by, and you won't have to worry about "shit, this is my only chance for ages", if you do decide you want one. I vote keep it, no matter how much an AFX2 would be sweet (I wouldn't mind one myself), like has been said, resale value, and all that jazz. Plus, fuck buying a new Mark V over here indeed :lol: Don't get me wrong, I would really like one, but I wouldn't buy one new, because that IS AFX territory :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah i guess i probably wouldnt shift the MKV either because id want more than what people would want to pay for it! :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
yeah i think what i need to do is wait till about 2pm tomorrow and turn my amp on and crank it.

doing that will probably remind me why i should never sell it.

i've not been in the practice studio for a while so that may be whats filling my head with this nonsense!
Stick with the Mesa. You sounded huge at the 13th note, and I think you'd grow to hate all the options on the Axe. You want something that's going to do metal well - and while the Axe does do metal, it does a bajillion other things that you won't ever use. Are you ever going to do some rock covers that needs less gain? Nope. Are you ever going to do some jazz covers? Nope. Are you ever going to do some pop covers? Nope.

Stick with the boogie, fill out your arsenal with pedals. You were already doing some trick stuff with that Carbon Copy. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts