Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started SS.org in 2004. Around then, Vince and I talked to Jerich, and that was the extent of the community. Then Drew came along. Then we all just started buying shit. :lol:

What was your gear back then, or whenever you first started associating with the big dysfunctional bunch of miscreants that make up our little social club?

Amp back then:
- GSP2101 Preamp
- Peavey 2.6c power amp
- Peavey 4x12

Main guitar back then:
- RG7620 / RG550
- Ibanez Acoustic

Total guitars: Probably 5, I think.

Amp now:
- Mesa Roadster
- Axe FX
- Two Recto 4x12s
- Plus a Supreme 160 halfstack w that old Ampeg cab.

Main guitar now:
- Sherman / 2027 / 550
- Martin acoustic

Total guitars: 20. (15 electrics, 4 acoustics, and one half-finished JEM at Sherman's place.)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I joined SS in December 2007. Man, it seems like a longer time ago than it actually was.

Amps back then:
Behringer Ultrabass 1200 1x12 kickback combo
Line 6 Spider 1x12 (original redface version)
Line 6 PODxt

Guitars back then:
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 Variax

Bass/cello back then:
Schecter C-4 Elite
Engelhardt cello w/Barcus-Berry pickup/pre

--
Amps now:
Budda Superdrive 30 1x12 (handwired)
Mesa/Boogie F-30 short head
Eden WT400
Eden D212XLT
Eden D210XLT
Line 6 PODxt

Guitars now:
Warmoth Warhead 24.75" scale superstrat
ESP "The Mirage" Custom
Ibanez RG565
Jackson SLSMG
Squier '51

Basses/celli:
Dingwall ABI Elite
Rickenbacker 4003
Schecter C-4 Elite
Engelhardt cello
Yamaha SVC-50 Silent Cello

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Then - Ibanez RG2027 with Digitech GNX modelling stuff through my Behringer cabs.

Now - Ibanez RG2027 with Digitech GNX modelling stuff through my Behringer cabs.

:lol: I'm the least gear whorish person around. The whole idea of having lots of guitars or gear that basically does the same thing is just.... *shudder* I dunno. It bugs me. I have a nice guitar, a nice bass, a nice amp setup, a nice PA, a nice recording setup, and that's all I need.

And this paddle game. The ash tray, and the paddle game, and the remote control. That's all I need. :D

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
When I joined SS in 2006 I had just discovered Dream Theater and fell in love with 7 strings.

Then
Guitar - Custom tele
Amp - Fender Deluxe 112+ (Solid state 2 channel)

Now
Guitars - Custom tele, Epi LP, Mexi strat that is heavily modified, 7 string jem thing that is in pieces currently.
Amps - Mesa Nomad w/ G-Major in the loop, Jet City JA20 Combo

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Joined ss.org in '07, changed a bit but still have most of my old gear haha

Amps back then:

Fender Eighty Five
Crate GX1200H
Marshall MG cab

Guitars back then:

Samick Formula (Tele copy)
Schecter Avenger 7
Ibanez V-blade

FX/etc:
Digitech DSP 128+

Bass back then:
Some no-name guitar-scale 4-string.

Amps Now:

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier (picstory tomorrow maybe :lol:)
Peavey Classic Series 60 power amp (needs to be sold)
Plus those other amps/cab :lol:

Guitars now:

Formula
Avenger
Schecter Damien Elite 7-FR (also gonna do a bit of that in mentioned picstory haha)

FX:

Digitech GNX3
Line 6 Toneport

Bass:

Ibanez SR-305
Some Lyon by Washburn bass

So currently my rig is going through the crap->awesome phase. Took awhile but I think its finally getting there.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Here's my gear collection around 1995 or so (though i think the photos were taken a year or two earlier... i just posted these online shortly before we moved, just in case anything happened in transit).

gear

I still have almost everything there.

Things that have come in:

+ Danelectro MOD 7
+ Stratocaster VII
+ Javelin Proto 1
+ MusicMan JP7
+ Agile Intrepid Standard
+ Agile T-7 Texan
+ Brice Defiant 6 bass
+ Crate PowerBlock
+ Mesa/Boogie F-30 head
+ Mesa/Boogie Thiele 1x12s (x2)
+ TC Electronic G-System
+ a few miscellaneous accessories, pedals and recording gear

Things that are gone:

- Parker Fly Classic
- MusicMan JP7
- Agile Intrepid
- BBE Sonic Maximizer
- Peavey Classic 20/20
- Genz Benz G-Flex 212

Amazingly, the GT-6 is still at the core of my rig, as it has been since 2002. Hopefully i'll be upgrading in the next year or so, either to the next-generation BOSS modeler, or to an AFX Ultra.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1b/40.2.005; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

In 2004 I had a Tech21 Trademark 300, a Marshall 1960A, an Alesis Quadraverb2, and a TS9. Guitars were a silver RG750, blue RG760, and a blue RG7620.

Now I have an Engl Fireball, Peavey 3120, an Avatar 212, Digitech RP1000 and RP500, and a Bloody Murder. Guitars are RG750/760/565, XPT700, Charvel SoCal, and a Partscaster.
So double the amps, double the guitars, double the effects unit, and half the speakers. :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I joined ss.org in 2006.

At the time I first joined, it was:

Main Guitars Back Then:
Ibanez RG1527
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Main Amps Back Then:
Behringer Vampire
DigiTech GNX3000 (I didn't actually buy this until a few months after I joined ss.org, but I had been saving up for it before I joined)

Total Guitars Back Then:

Main Guitars now:
Ibanez RG8527Z
Ibanez RG1527

Main Amps Now:
Axe-FX Ultra

Total Guitars Now:

If you look at the numbers, you'd think I bought one new guitar, but I actually bought 2 new guitars and 1 new bass and got rid of 2 of my guitars.

Right now is not the most guitars I've owned. The most I ever had was around 2005 or so where I had: 2 acoustics, 1 bass, 4 electrics, and a mandolin... which... on second thought... is pretty much the same as now. :lol:

The main difference now is that the equipment I have is slightly more expensive, especially in the amp/pre-amp area.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Then, i had been going through a LOT of guitars and amps, mostly buying and flipping them, and enjoying them a bit for a week or 3.

As far as MY Guitars though, it was limited. My Big Baby Taylor, Ibby RG270, and an Ibby RGT42. I had my mexican Jazzbass, an ampeg b2re head and a behringer 410, and a peavey... something.

Ive continued to whore, but my guitar selection is settling down, Ive got

S540, Charvel SoCal, Warmoth Tele, Mexican Strat, my Big Baby, the mexican jazzbass, the fretless anderson jazz bass, an RG480mutt, The Guild S300D, and the fretless peavey/warmoth tele hybrid, My gear is a laney gh50l, and a mesa classic 212

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
On the big picture: Talking with Dave made me hate basswood. Thats about all thats changed :lol:
I also dont like Ibanez guitars in general anymore (Theres a few that still get me going, and i like their bass line a fair amount.)

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Well, I have had a serious case of GAS loooooong before I ever arrived to ss.org circa 2004. :lol:
While I've gone through well over 70 guitars (90% of them 7s), the core of my rig remained unchanged for about 8 years.

When I joined:
RACK....
Rocktron Chameleon blackface preamp
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Rocktron Velocity 300 poweramp

GUITARS...
Ibanez UV777BK (modified & setup by Steve Vai's guitar tech...god I miss that guitar still)
Esp M-107
Kramer Striker 7
Steinberger Spirit GU-7R

After the Ibanez & ESP above were stolen & my 1st Chameleon finally died, my gearwhoredom went to a whole new level. Many guitars were bought trying to find a suitable replacment for the UV that played like absolute buttah. I stay with rack/floor processors for over a decade. I did the whole modeler thing: Line 6, Digitech, Fractal Audio....

In the last few months, I've decided to give tube heads a shot & I'm really digging it. And 2 years ago, I scored the ultimate guitar that I had spent 12 years hunting. The right place at the right time & bam, the Ibanez UV777GR was now mine! And Sherman restored, no less! That axe will go to the grave with me.

CURRENT RIG...
Hughes & Kettner Coreblade
(2) Mesa 1x12 Mesa Widebody cabs w/ Eminence Swamp Thang speakers
Pedalboard: Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro, Line 6 M13 stompbox modeler, Digitech Whammy, Morley Bad Horsie, Ernie Ball VPJr.

CURRENT GUITARS...
Ibanez UV777GR
Ibanez RG7620BSB (burnt stained blue sims body on RG7620 platform)
ESP PG-600MG page hamilton
Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1-2H
Ibanez RG7321BK

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I joined ss.org in 2005, right around that time I traded some gear to Dave, but I don't remember if that was before or after joining ss.org, so this list is after the trade.

Guitars:
Jackson CS 7 string x2
Jackson CS Rhoads x2
Jackson San Dimas Rhoads
Jackson LTD 88
Jackson Archotop Soloist Pro
Gibson Les Paul
Tackamine Santa Fe 12
Tackamine 6
Spector Euro LX 4 string

Amps:
Mesa Road King mk. I
ENGL Powerball mk. I

Cabs:
Mesa 4x12 x2
Marshall 4x12

Today here are the changes:

Guitars:
No change

Amps:
The ENGL is gone, and I added these:
Bogner Uberschall
Budda Superdrive 45
Ampeg SVT Classic
Marshall JMP-1 preamp

Cabs:
Added an Ampeg 6x10

In my "main" Jackson, I swapped out the EMG for a BKP, and in the Soloist I put in an Aldrich.

After I joined ss.org I purchased the Jackson CS 7 string Death Warrior, which I sold a couple of years ago. That's the only thing that's been in and out since 2005.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I really didn't used to worry too much about what gear I had. I've always been a tweaker, but I was generally content to learn to squeeze every drop of tone out of whatever shitty gear I had at the time and spend the rest of the time playing. I think I stuck with a Marshall MG 15 and various cheap distortion pedals for about four years or so until I upgraded to a GT-6 and an AVT50 that I could never get to sound good. I think something is wrong with mine, because I've heard them sound decent.

The only reason I got my next rig, which was a Peavey Road Master head (160 watts of heavy-ass 6L6 power) with the GT-6 and an Ibanez Toneblaster 4x12 was because the AVT wasn't cutting it for the band I had joined.

My DiMarzio equipped 7421s had been my main guitars for a few years before I found SS, and continued to be for some time afterward. I felt no need to get anything better.

Now, I've got an Axe-FX Ultra. :lol: My trusty Avatar cab will probably be replaced with Atomic Reactor cabs or something similar within the next six months or so. My number of guitars has roughly doubled (and some are equipped with fancy shit like BKPs and Lundgrens), and while my main guitars right now are Agiles, I'm looking forward to getting an email informing me that my KxK is finished (should be any time now, really). I'm also planning to get something like a Sherman or Oni, but that probably won't be any time too soon.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wow, I think I joined ss.org in 06 or 07 and just lurked forever, and back then I had.....

Amp:
Marshall MG50DFX
Guitar:
Ibanez RG7321
Pedals:
Boss ML-2 Metalcore

Then when I joined here, I had

Amp:
Fender FM100+412SL
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7321 and Ibanez Apex 2 (wish I still had that one)
Pedals:
Pod X3 Live

However, since I garnered enough cash together, and reading all you fuckers getting really awesome gear, I figured 'fuck it', and my current rig(s) are:

Amps:
Blackstar Series One 100w, Blackstar HT-5H
Cabs:
Custom 2x12 with 120w Eminence Legends, Laney 1x12 with 120w Eminence Legend
Guitars:
Ibanez XPT707FX
Pedals:
ISP Decimator G-string, Ibanez TS-7

I have a feeling this is just the start :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
When I joined:

Mesa Triple Rec
G-Major
Jackson Soloist 7
SD JB & Jazz

Now:

Mesa Triple Rec
Tubescreamer
G-Major
Jackson Soloist 7
Wolfetone Rewinds

Why mess with what works? :lol:

I will say that I've played a lot of things that I probably wouldn't have if I wasn't a member of this community, I just haven't found anything I like better.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
On the big picture: Talking with Dave made me hate basswood. Thats about all thats changed :lol:
I also dont like Ibanez guitars in general anymore (Theres a few that still get me going, and i like their bass line a fair amount.)
:woohoo:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I finally joined ss.org in July 2009 after lurking for a year or so and didn't really start posting a lot until 2010.

Still, ss.org is the reason I:
  • Bought a Mark IV
  • Bought a 7-string
  • Bought an 8-string
  • Decided to sell my XXX and Mark IV for an Axe-Fx
Meanwhile, mg.org is the reason I decided to:
  • Sell my 8-string
  • Stop buying exclusively black guitars and even allow fr00t
  • Ditch active pickups and start passive-whoring
  • GAS hard for a Strat
I see no patterns. :shrug::lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
When I joined:

Mesa Road King
Mesa 4x12, oversized
GMajor
Jackson Stars Soloist 7

Now:

Mesa Stiletto II
Mesa 4x12, traditional
GMajor
KxK Sii-7 and ProtoVii-7

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Then:
RG7621, RG570RM
Mesa Nomad 45 2x12

Now:
XV500, Mac (by Rob Bowen), C1, C7, RoadstarII
Mesa TriAxis, GSharp, X2 Wireless, MosValve pwr, Sovtek Mig 100H, Sovtek 4x12, Epi VJ, Vox AD15VT

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.