Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll be going tomorrow to check out gear and see Devin Townsend give a demo. It should be a real hootenanny. We'll report back when we return.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's my random thoughts about another Gearfest.

If you can ever make it to one of these you really should. Sweetwater dos a nice job of getting lots of gear out and having people at the various tables that can actually explain it. One complaint though, it gets really fucking loud in the tents with all the gear and it's a mother fucker to hear anything. Chris was trying out a Blackstar ID series amp and his thoughts were "I think it sounded good but I really couldn't hear it." Also the asshole from 65 Amps who wants to be Keith Richards really needs kicked in the balls.

The Ibanez bass guitar hybrid thing seemed pretty cool to me.

The Washburn Parallaxe series seems like an awful lot of guitar for the money. I was pretty impressed with the one they had the in the showroom.

The Music Man Majesty is even uglier in person and that super long top horn is really awkward.

Bruce Egnater is really fun to talk to and a really smart guy.

The Jackson and EVH guitars I played all had really nice necks and we all pretty damn nice.

At the Blackstar demo Freddy DeMarco played $99 ID Core series and it sounded really good. So did their new line of boost and distortion pedals. Of course Freddy is the man at doing demos and an absolute monster player.

Gregg Koch did a good demo for the new Fishman Fluence pickups. It'll be interesting to see if this new technology catches on.

Eventide needs a better demo guy. Somehow he made the H9 pedal seem boring.

Devin Townsend gave the greatest presentation in Sweetwater history. He was funny and interesting to listen to. He basically talked for an hour about how gear has altered his approach to music. Also I've never seen someone doing a demo hang out with the crowd and sign autographs and take as many pictures as he did. He was very cool. Also we learned he can't pee if someone else is in the restroom.

The addition of food trucks to Gearfest is the greatest idea ever. I ate at Sol Kitchen at it was fucking awesome as a fucking awesome thing. It just buries the cafeteria food there.

·
should really be working.
366 Posts
Acidwing plays the Ibanez guitar bass thing that we all enjoyed:

Leon tries it out:

A rather large Bongo bass from the future:

An N7 safely out of reach:

The Washburn:

Devin being awesome talking to everyone and signing everything:

Food truck!

Andy and Tim playing:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I'm glad I had the chance to play that BFR. The neck is too thin for me, and now I've been released from the haunting desire :lol:

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
The Music Man Majesty is even uglier in person and that super long top horn is really awkward.
I agree it looks even worst in person and I HATED how it felt to hold it. With that said I played it side by side with a JP13 and enjoyed the tone out of the Majesty more which I'm guessing is due to it having more mahogany.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plus the Majesty is neck through and the JP13 is a bolt on which has an effect on tone.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
I didn't get a picture of it, but I stumbled upon an Aguilar bass amp, which I absolutely fell in love with. I think it's "the one" :wub:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wirelessly posted

bulletbass man said:
Eventides demo guys are usually pretty good, the one at AES a few years back was a monster player and knew the machines inside and out.
This one sucked. He spent half of the time giving us lesson on how to play Pink Floyd riffs.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
That was it! Or, at least that's what the president of the company said I was playing through. Oddly enough, that's not where I heard the bass soundz eminating from. Either way, it sounded so god damn good. I just ordered a Carvin bass, so I can't justify another expensive purchase right now. When the time is right, I'm definitely going to revisit Aguilar for a new amp.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That was it! Or, at least that's what the president of the company said I was playing through. Oddly enough, that's not where I heard the bass soundz eminating from. Either way, it sounded so god damn good. I just ordered a Carvin bass, so I can't justify another expensive purchase right now. When the time is right, I'm definitely going to revisit Aguilar for a new amp.
:agreed: Definitely an awesome amp. 4 lbs, great overdrive and fat clean tones, excellent DI, and very versatile EQ section. Plus you can hammer on it all day with crazy EQ settings and the clip light flashing and you won't risk damage, unlike other amps I've owned (here's looking at you, Eden).

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
:agreed: Definitely an awesome amp. 4 lbs, great overdrive and fat clean tones, excellent DI, and very versatile EQ section. Plus you can hammer on it all day with crazy EQ settings and the clip light flashing and you won't risk damage, unlike other amps I've owned (here's looking at you, Eden).
Man, that sounds awesome. Hopefully I can grab one sooner rather than later!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts