Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a moen gec-9 and am in the process of setting up a real pedal board for the first time ever.

I'm confused on how I should route the decimator g-string with the switcher.

I'm planning to have a couple outputs in front of the amp, a couple in the loop, and use the 8/9 bank outputs for channel switching on the amp. I bought the ground control pro 6505 din to TRS cable with a splitter for 2 mono TS channels from btpa and hope it works (still waiting on it to come).

I'd like to have the decimator on at all times. Even on clean, the 6505+ is a little noisey and I have been able to set it to where i don't lose much tone out of it on the clean setting.

Should I go into the decimator BEFORE the entire switcher? on both in front and loop?

Should I use the buffered or non-buffered input on the gec-9? I don't fully understand the difference. Sounds like buffered gives it a signal boost for long runs?

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think i got this working now.

The way it's hooked up now is a bit backwards in my mind but it seems to work.

(this is from memory and its in the other room now and im lazy...)
Guitar - > decimator gtr in -> decimator dec out -> gec9 nonbuffered in -> through the loops 1-6 ->output 1 to amp effects return -> effects send -> decimator dec in ->decimator gtr out -> loop 7 input -> OD pedal ->loop 7 output -> amp in

Interestingly enough, the first time i set it up, it did not work correctly for going in front of the amp... I was simply running the loop, not the preamp. I had to swap the loop7 and buff input cables. Which, after reading above, seems to make more sense than the X pattern.

No electrical fire smell and everything seems to wok as intended. Decimator cuts the fuzz, but that damn catlinbread tailsman reverb is just so friggin noisy.

The 6505+ sounds DANG GOOD without the preamp for cleans. After I re-wired the route and had the preamp engaged again, the tone went to shit. lol

My channel switcher cable should be here in a couple days. This will let me use the gec9 as amp footswitch for my clean vs gain tones. I'm going to use the 2nd TS connector to control the crunch selector as well. Volume loss balancing is going to be tough here for a real 3channel experience. I'm thinking I need to throw a ge7 in the loop and bring down some levels on the crunch loops (hi gain can of course have it's own post control)

Once it's all working, the plan is to get a real board, a real power supply (currently using the tu-3) and lava cable it all up. It's messy and all over the place right now mostly due to the power cord leads and random path cables i have available to get this thing working.

gec9.jpg

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Nice! Those effects controller systems can be a pain in the ass to figure out.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it spent about 4 hours reading diagrams before I even plugged anything in.

I wish it had more options to run 2 real loops. Basically, with using 8/9 to control the amp, i have loop 7 only in front of the amp. Kinda lame. The other 6 are internally wired and thus I put it in the loop where most of my effects go. So I have empty ports in the loop and not enough in front of the amp.
It's good enough for a cheap set up.

The channel switcher cable came today. I picked up a TRS to dual TS cable at radio shack-like local store in town. I plugged it in to see if it works, and yup, I have a 3 channel amp now with the crunch switch. I DEF need to get an eq in the loop that activates with the crunch switch to balance volume down quite a bit. Clean is very quiet and then cruch is like 40 dB louder even on pre of 2.5.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. I never had a footswitch for this amp, so every time i wanted to go clean i would jsut roll the volume off the guitar on the hot channel. It's a different playing style now that I can pick hard again and have some sustain.

I'm thinking about buying this: https://reverb.com/item/702083-peda...-and-voodoo-lab-pedal-power-2-plus-2015-black might be a little over-kill.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wanted to say that this switcher was the best thing i ever bought for my tone.

everything is so much clearer now. It really changed the tone of my amp by pulling all the ton sucking stomps out of series and into individual loops. I highly recommend this thing. For the price, it really can't be beat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts