Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is selling a peavey xxl 4x12 cab for 125. Is it worth it or is it a waste or money. I already have a mesa and Marshall but I have 3 amp heads and 2 cabs. What do ya think?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Does it have the original speakers in it? I'm not sure but I think they should be the same Sheffields that are in 5150 and XXX cabs.

It's totally worth it as it's a $300 cab new and is built fairly well. It will sound different than your other two cabs as well, so you'll have a lot of tonal options.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
It has the blue marvel speakers in it
Those are ok. Similar to the Sheffields but cheaper. They're all made by Eminence anyway, I think.

Honestly I'd drag your Mesa over there and plug it in, see if you like it, check to make sure all 4 speakers are still working and nothing sounds torn up. You'd have three very different cabs and three very different heads. :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I believe the XXL cabs are made with MDF I believe. Just FYI.
No way. The back might be MDF, I'd have to knock on one, but the baffle and sides are plywood.

They're surely knot the same void-free 13-ply Baltic Birch fancy stuff that high-end cabs are made from, but MDF is the lowest of the low, mushes up in water and is actually quite heavy. I don't even think a B-52 cab is made of that stuff.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Yeah the baffle definitely is wood, but don't think it is on the rest of it IIRC. I had a B52 cab and it was also a mix of wood and MDF.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
my b52 cab is wood but not sure about the rear panel. I would pass personally, unless its super cheap kevin :shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.