Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GEORGE LYNCH - NEW JAM 2011 [MTV Headbangers Ball] - YouTube

This is chaotic, a bit dirty in places, a little unorganized here and there, and there's a couple moments where his note choice is a little questionable.

It's also fucking AWESOME, especially the intro. I think Lynch has some of the best phrasing I've ever heard, all the odd rhythmic groupings slurred into on-the-beat resolution, the out-then-in bending and slides and bar work, and just the pervasive larger than life, edge of chaos vibe. He's a shredder who sounds like he takes chances, which is a VERY rare breed and is one of the reason he's one of my favorites.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Funny, I actually picked up Beast From the East at a second hand shop today and was about to post some Lynch stuff.:lol:

The guy's one of my favourites in terms of phrasing too. Even when he's playing totally off the cuff you can tell who it is within just a few notes, and he never sounds like he's just running through things he's practiced a million-and-one times in advance.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
He always looks like he is pain when he is playing. He really strikes me as the guy that just noodles and noodles until he gets something that works and then runs with it.

He is a very off the cuff player and from watching videos of him from way back in the Dokken days until recently its hit or miss if nails it.

I still love his playing though because when he does hit it, he hits it hard.

·
Registered
331 Posts
George Lynch is just great. I guess there are lots of players who are technically better guitarists, but George has such a unique and distinctive style which I think is much more important than just technique.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Mr. Scary for the win:metal: That guy is the reason I started playing guitar. Awesome.
:agreed:

Me too. I've always loved the "outside" notes that he plays... just an occasional flattened or sharpened note that makes his stuff sound so much more exotic than run-of-the-mill blues-based playing. Warren DiMartini is the same way... 90% of what he plays is based on pentatonics, but then he just tweaks your ear with a note or a phrase you weren't expecting.

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
:agreed:
Me too. I've always loved the "outside" notes that he plays... just an occasional flattened or sharpened note that makes his stuff sound so much more exotic than run-of-the-mill blues-based playing. Warren DiMartini is the same way... 90% of what he plays is based on pentatonics, but then he just tweaks your ear with a note or a phrase you weren't expecting.
He just completely shuts off thought and wails. Always tried to bring that into my playing. I remember when he started heading in the direction of learning more music theory. Back when the old VHS instructional came out. It gave me hope that if the guy doing a guitar solo on the edge of a volcano had no idea what he was doing then I was going to be all right and could learn also:lol:

·
Grumpy Old Fart
1,025 Posts
What's with his love affair with phaser pedals lately? Almost everything I've heard him play has that swirling warble on it.

What I love most about George is that I can recognize his playing almost instantly. He has a very distinct style.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Translation: sloppy.

:D
Hardly. If he didn't Resolve so squarely on the beat, or in his faster runs show he was capable of straight even rhythmic groupings, you might be onto something. Instead, he'a not sloppy, he's awesome. :metal:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know, I listened to that one before posting this, bt I didn't care for it as much. It's much more technical and objectively cleaner, but his phrasing is much more conventional here, it's largely a by-the-book hair metal solo. There are some awesome moments - that descending phrase around the 1:40 mark, for one - but it's not as immediately ear catching as the solo I linked.

It's like he's no longer trying to play fast, and is just trying t do his own thing now that the 80s are over, like he kind of checked out of the faster-than-the-next-guy pissing contest.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That sloppiness (eww :lol:) gives it a human quality though and I think that's what makes it exciting to listen to. That really technical super precise playing just starts to sound boring to me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.