·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
:(

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
^:lol:

I seriously thought this was a joke before I opened the link given the history of Yankee love here.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
How long until George fires God?
:rofl:

I will hold off with my usual reflexive "Fuck the Yankees" to note that, regardless of my personal feelings for the team, a rivalry is no fun unless you have a worthy opponent. Steinbrenner gave us that. RIP.

·
swan dive
174 Posts
Yeah, this just had to happen during the All Star break when nothing is going on, giving ESPN the go ahead to throw constant Steinbrenner coverage on all of its networks. He was an asshole, I hate the Yankees, and just because somebody dies, it doesn't make them a saint.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
So...... we can have revenue sharing now and make it a viable league?
Because the Yankess just won a championship in nearly 10 years. George owned the team since the 70's and on 7 championships. Not that crazy.

Sure money plays into it BUT teams like the Marlins, Rockies, Rays etc. Have shown if you draft and use your farm system wisely you will be fine.

If the Orioles and Pirates weren't fucking morons and drafted worth a damn they would be better. :shrug:

·
swan dive
174 Posts
Because the Yankess just won a championship in nearly 10 years. George owned the team since the 70's and on 7 championships. Not that crazy.

Sure money plays into it BUT teams like the Marlins, Rockies, Rays etc. Have shown if you draft and use your farm system wisely you will be fine.

If the Orioles and Pirates weren't fucking morons and drafted worth a damn they would be better. :shrug:
For the most part, you're right, though, to split hairs, the Rockies and Rays have never won a title, and up until their World Series appearance, the Rays sucked something awful. The Rockies, throughout their history, have been inconsistent at best. The Yankees proved themselves that a good farm system and smart drafting won titles. Those 4 titles in 5 years at the end of the 90s were a product of that homegrown group of Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, and Andy Petite. So, while I agree with you that the farm system and draft are the main components to a successful team, you need a fairly high budget in order to sustain that level of success.

Also, the Pirates have been drafting pretty well. Their owner just doesn't seem to give a damn about winning :(

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
For the most part, you're right, though, to split hairs, the Rockies and Rays have never won a title, and up until their World Series appearance, the Rays sucked something awful. The Rockies, throughout their history, have been inconsistent at best. The Yankees proved themselves that a good farm system and smart drafting won titles. Those 4 titles in 5 years at the end of the 90s were a product of that homegrown group of Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, and Andy Petite. So, while I agree with you that the farm system and draft are the main components to a successful team, you need a fairly high budget in order to sustain that level of success.

Also, the Pirates have been drafting pretty well. Their owner just doesn't seem to give a damn about winning :(
True. The Rays are now a Al east contender IMO the toughest division in all of baseball. Yet they dont have tons of money. Marlins practically have zero money :lol:

·
swan dive
174 Posts
Yeah, I like the way the Rays play (unintentional rhyming ftw), and when they're on their game, they're extremely tough to beat. The Rays have power, hit for average, have great team speed, have an exceptional rotation and a solid bullpen. They're definitely a contender. I just hope they can either outlast the Yankees in that division or snag the wildcard.

The Marlins method always fascinated me. They built a very strong team, won a World Series, purged the entire roster, and then six years later they win again with a team that was arguably stronger. Then, in true Marlins fashion, they unloaded everybody. What is remarkably sad about that team is the stadium they play in. It's such a shithole, and its almost always at like 20% capacity. I'm the biggest Ken Griffey Jr. fan on the planet, and it made me sad he hit his 600th homerun there in front of like 2000 people. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Fuck the Yankees. :noway:

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Yeah, I like the way the Rays play (unintentional rhyming ftw), and when they're on their game, they're extremely tough to beat. The Rays have power, hit for average, have great team speed, have an exceptional rotation and a solid bullpen. They're definitely a contender. I just hope they can either outlast the Yankees in that division or snag the wildcard.

The Marlins method always fascinated me. They built a very strong team, won a World Series, purged the entire roster, and then six years later they win again with a team that was arguably stronger. Then, in true Marlins fashion, they unloaded everybody. What is remarkably sad about that team is the stadium they play in. It's such a shithole, and its almost always at like 20% capacity. I'm the biggest Ken Griffey Jr. fan on the planet, and it made me sad he hit his 600th homerun there in front of like 2000 people. :lol:
Very true. The Rays are a very very good team. Except that dog Bj upton :noplease:

Here is a quick list of some of the players the Marlins have/had

Brad Penny

Josh Beckett

Aj Burnett

Pudge

Carlos Delgado

Mike Lowell

Jeff Conine

Gary Sheffield

Trevor Hoffman

Bobby Bonilla

Moisés Alou

Luis Castillo

Edgar Rentería

Liván Hernández

Derrek Lee

Mike Piazza

Dontrelle Willis

Kevin Millar

Carl Pavano

Ryan Dempster

Juan Pierre

Miguel Cabrera

Ugueth Urbina

Álex González

Paul LoDuca

Juan Encarnacion

Armando Benitez

Al Leiter

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
So...... we can have revenue sharing now and make it a viable league?
Or, cap the Yanks to what the rest of the league spends, and send the rest to disenfranchised kids who can't afford a glove to play on their local school team?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts