Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ugh. So many choices. I know I want something a little more powerful, but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Looking at this one:
FRYS.com*|*Toshiba

And this one:
HP - Pavilion Laptop / AMD Phenom™ II Processor / 17.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Brushed Aluminum - dv7-4065dx

I believe the HP has a quad-core processor. Am I really going to need a quad-core?

I use my laptop for stuff like watching movies, playing a few games, Photoshop, but nothing super intense. I don't need top of the line, but I'd like at least decent performance (Photoshop sometimes crashes my current laptop).

Recommendations? I'm looking to spend around $800, but I could do a grand. Less is better because I need a new pickup for the reptile sex guitar.

Pft. Like how I totally missed Vince's thread. I'm just heading over there now lol.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
As if I'd buy a Macbook. :squint: :lol:
:wub:

Are you set on a 17 incher? Size isn't everything... (right? :( )

I have good experience with Toshiba laptops. Maybe check out these two, which are both 16 inchers...

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with Intel® Core™ i3 Processor - Quantum Black - A505-S6005

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 16" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Charcoal - A665-S6056

Note: I don't have any personal experience with either of these particular models.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone knows it's about what you can do with it.:roll2:

I like the larger screen size, but I don't honestly think it would be a deal breaker. I am really set on Blu-ray and the better graphics, though.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Everyone knows it's about what you can do with it.:roll2:

I like the larger screen size, but I don't honestly think it would be a deal breaker. I am really set on Blu-ray and the better graphics, though.
For Blu-Ray you can count out the Macs if you were considering that. As far as graphics....the last time I looked for a laptop for my girlfriend very few PC laptops had graphics that could compete with the Macs. Alienware is notable and are around the same price range as a Mac. In my experience you can't go wrong with Dell. I don't have much experience with Toshiba, Acer, or Asus, but they seem to be nice. I'd steer clear of HP though, their keyboards have sucked shit through a straw recently.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Dell now. Flimsiest. Construction. Ever. Thanks for the heads up on the HP.

Macbook is not completely out of the picture, but I really would rather not have to worry about compatibility issues and learning a new OS and stuff.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Eh, if you're happy with Windows PCs it's not worth the effort to switch. :shrug:

The Dell business class laptops (like the D800 series and so on) that I've used recently have been awesome. Try out some of the Toshibas and Lenovos at Best Buy, construction wise they seem nice.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
For what she wants though, a C2 is still a damn good processor, and since the I#'s keep coming out with a new one every two weeks, you can get a lot of C2 power for short money.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Dang it. Standing in Best Buy hesitating now...

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Pft. I'm just not getting one here. They don't have anything worthwhile. Time to look at guitars.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

A few people I know insist this has everything I need, just cheaper:

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/;jsessionid=EEC884D9643E974609647B2C3427C9B7?wicket:bookmarkablePage=:com.wm.mobile.web.item.SearchItemLookup&search_query=acer&product_id=14649390

I haven't heard much about Acer, though...

·

745 Posts
One thing about the HP laptops (especially Pavillion series) they get HOT AS HELL if you're doing anything more demanding than playing minesweeper - my roommate had one and I'd say that 'stay away from them' would be a pretty mild version of what I wanted to say :)
as for Acer - despite the low quality of their older products, I'd recommend them - I'm on my second Acer now (in 4 years - upgraded 'cause of efficiency, not problems) and I can't say a bad word about them.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
As far as HPs and lower-end laptops go...it depends on whether or not they used a desktop chip in it or not, low-end laptops are famous for this because the desktop CPUs are so much cheaper but run a lot hotter. These days with much lower-power CPUs (not pentium 4s lol) it's not as big of an issue unless you really tax your CPU which you obviously bought the wrong product if you do.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As far as HPs and lower-end laptops go...it depends on whether or not they used a desktop chip in it or not, low-end laptops are famous for this because the desktop CPUs are so much cheaper but run a lot hotter. These days with much lower-power CPUs (not pentium 4s lol) it's not as big of an issue unless you really tax your CPU which you obviously bought the wrong product if you do.
Nope, no real intense CPU usage going on over here. I think the most demanding thing I use is Photoshop and I never work with more than two or three photos at a time, so... ya know.

I ended up getting the Acer because I know a guy who got me a really good deal on it. I ended up getting that $700 Aspire for $500. :lol:.

I'm glad I didn't get the HP with the AMD Phenom or the Toshiba. I was able to try them out and hated them. The HP was uncomfortable to use and it was loud. The Toshiba got really hot. Really hot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.