Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for probably the last 5 years I've been playing on and off, but I haven't really been into it, haven't looked at gear or anything. But now I've got the bug again and I'm actually trying to learn how to play it, not just play along to Guitar Pro.

Right now I'm looking at either the Jackson Adrian Smith or an old Charvel Model 2 or 3. I'm really just looking a super strat with a top mounted Floyd, I'm not too worried about what kind of woods and stuff. I know the Chavel Satchel and Warren Demartini and EVH sigs have top mounted Floyds, but they're more than I'm looking to spend. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I'm looking at either the Jackson Adrian Smith or an old Charvel Model 2 or 3. I'm really just looking a super strat with a top mounted Floyd, I'm not too worried about what kind of woods and stuff. I know the Chavel Satchel and Warren Demartini and EVH sigs have top mounted Floyds, but they're more than I'm looking to spend. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
You're definitely looking in the right direction to start with! Most of the Charvels are bolt-ons, right? Would you be willing sacrifice the top-mounted Floyd to have a neck thru? If so, Jackson and Solar might be companies to look at in a similar price point. My tastes in guitar are a little different than yours, so others may be able to chime in with more accurate suggestions, but that's what I'd be thinking.

And of course I have to always recommend Ibanez :agreed:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're definitely looking in the right direction to start with! Most of the Charvels are bolt-ons, right? Would you be willing sacrifice the top-mounted Floyd to have a neck thru? If so, Jackson and Solar might be companies to look at in a similar price point. My tastes in guitar are a little different than yours, so others may be able to chime in with more accurate suggestions, but that's what I'd be thinking.

And of course I have to always recommend Ibanez :agreed:
I'm specifically looking for one with a top mounted Floyd, otherwise I'd just buy a Soloist. Which'll probably be my next guitar, I just gotta get my 80s metal fix first.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Right now I'm looking at either the Jackson Adrian Smith or an old Charvel Model 2 or 3. I'm really just looking a super strat with a top mounted Floyd, I'm not too worried about what kind of woods and stuff. I know the Chavel Satchel and Warren Demartini and EVH sigs have top mounted Floyds, but they're more than I'm looking to spend. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Everything you listed there is an 11 on the Bitchin' Scale, so nope - nothing else to look at. Pick any one of those and you're good to go.

:kip:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts