·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No more British chocolate for you guys.
Hershey's Bans British Chocolate - Business Insider

Hershey’s Wants to Stop Imports of Real British Chocolates -- Grub Street

Business Insider said:
Hershey's has blocked British-made Cadbury chocolate from entering the US.
The chocolate company struck up a deal with Let's Buy British Imports to stop imports of Cadbury products made overseas, reports Tatiana Schlossberg at The New York Times.

The company will also stop importing British Kit Kat bars, Toffee Crisps, and Yorkie chocolate bars.

Fans of chocolate manufactured in Britain say it tastes better than American-made chocolate.

A Hershey's representative told The New York Times that the company has the rights to manufacture Cadbury chocolate in America using different recipes, and that importing British chocolate is an infringement.

The New York Times broke down the major differences between the kinds of chocolates.

"Chocolate in Britain has a higher fat content; the first ingredient listed on a British Cadbury's Dairy Milk (plain milk chocolate) is milk," Schlossberg writes. "In an American-made Cadbury's bar, the first ingredient is sugar."

The American version also contains preservatives.

Furious Cadbury fans have started the hashtag #boycotthershey.

Andrew Baker at The Telegraph speculated that Hershey's is afraid of Cadbury chocolate.

"It will seem more likely to anyone who has ever tasted Hershey's own-brand products, and its approximations of Cadbury's, that they are instead preventing consumers from buying products which taste much better than Hershey's own," Baker writes.
GrubStreet said:
Preserving the integrity of America's Cadbury Creme Eggs from the sort of changes affecting the original right now in the U.K. definitely won Hershey's some kudos, but the chocolate giant apparently doesn't need your love, especially if it's for British candy. The teeth on a lawsuit Hershey's attorneys filed last year against LBB and Posh-Nosh, two big British candy importers, are starting to sink this week, and real British chocolate's future looks pretty dark.

Here in the U.S., Hershey's owns the exclusive right to sell the American version of many British chocolates, which is how it came to be the Creme Egg hero. But according to the suit, these two importers "deceive the public" by stocking the shelves of what are largely British specialty stores with things from across the Pond that "confuse" folks into thinking they're the things Hershey's manufactures right here in the U.S. of A.

For instance, Yorkies and York Peppermint Patties. Or Toffee Crisps and Reese's

About the likelihood of this particular mix-up, the West Village's Tea & Sympathy dryly notes, "If you think Toffee Crisps look like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups your eyesight is a much bigger problem than your chocolate bar confusion." Nonetheless, the shop has stopped selling them, telling customers on Facebook last Friday: "Due to the legal action by the so called chocolate maker Hersheys, we can no longer import the real Cadbury chocolate from England." Unfortunately for owner Nicky Perry, she tells the Daily News she's already placed her Cadbury Easter order.

The fear is that the legal action will have serious implications - "NO more UK and EU Cadbury products," as one store owner put it. Someone has Hershey's convinced that its customers are not a discerning bunch. Just last year, it rescued them from the confusion of a Colorado edibles company's "Ganga Joy" and "Hasheath" pot doppelgängers.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
:shrug: I don't like US or UK Cadbury. I also don't like dark chocolate at all, so I'm not the best source for chocolate opinions.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Fart
1,025 Posts
For a second I thought this thread was going to be about banning pizza. My fat gut gives no fucks about chocolate but just try and take away foods from the greasy, cheesy food group.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I'm quite a fan of American chocolate, but I'll be the first to say that Cadbury's is way way way way way better than Hershey's.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
The Swiss make chocolate.
Everything else is pretend.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Box Smasher)

We are a very resourceful people. We'll find a way to stay fat without your imperial sweets.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts