Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I did any home recording was with a pod studio gx about a decade ago and quite obviously a lot has changed. I'm looking to get back into home recording as a hobby with nothing too expensive. I did a bit of research but keen to get more opinions on what's out there? I'm looking at recording with purely VST's and amp Sims.

Could I get some recommendations for:

Audio interface: focusright 2i2, Motu M2, audient id4?
Near field Studio monitors: edifier, personus, JBL's?
DAW: reaper, cakewalk or logic pro?

Currently using a PC but planning to get a MacBook Pro when the new M1X's releases.

Any advice?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I own a focusrite 6i6 and an audient id4. If you mainly want to work mainly with sims go with Audient. I've owned JBL monitors and thought they were ok but not all that impressed with them. If you're going low budget on monitors get something from Kali Audio. If you have a bit bigger budget get Adam Audio T5V or T7V. Whichever fits your budget. Right now steinberg products are on sale and also has a side deal if you buy Cubase Artist they will upgrade you to Pro for free. That deal is bonkers and I absolutely recommend it. Yes it's expensive but if you go that route your done. Finished. You have one of the top DAW's on the planet. I know thats not what you're looking for but I had to throw that out there because it's a hell of a deal. It took me years of upgrades and black friday sales to get to PRO and if I was starting over I would jump on this is a heartbeat. But back to your choices I would definitely go Reaper first simply because it's a great DAW and you'll find the most tutorials online for it. Logic second with cakewalk last. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts